Skip to main content
KBS_Icon_questionmark link-ico

Your questions answered – current students

Updated: 21 August 2020

On this page

Support Services | Student Mental Health and Wellbeing | Your Health and Self-Isolating | Self-isolation reporting form | Fees and Funding | Exams and Assessments | Graduation Ceremonies | Travel and Visas | King's response to coronavirus

We will be open and ready to teach our new and returning students at the start of the next academic year in September and October 2020 as scheduled.

We know that the COVID-19 pandemic is causing uncertainty for everyone and we have shaped our plans so we can be ready to teach despite anticipated safe-distancing and international travel measures. With the health and wellbeing of our community and staff and students our absolute priority, our campus will be open with safety measures in place - informed by our leading researchers and academics and based on the latest UK government guidance. 

We will offer a combination of on-campus teaching and learning with online delivery, to ensure that our students can access the high-quality King’s education that is highly respected by employers around the globe, as well as an enriching university experience. You can read the full article here

Please keep checking our Q&A pages for the latest information.

Next academic year

Information on the 2020/21 academic year is available here.

 Support Services

How do I access advice & guidance? 

The Student Advice & Guidance team will continue to provide advice and support to all current and prospective students by phone and email.  We are running telephone advice sessions via our AdviceLine.  

The quickest way to speak to an Adviser about any money, housing or immigration issue, including how COVID-19 may be impacting your ability to work, study and live, please call the AdviceLine which runs Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Opening times are subject to change so please check the website for the current timetable.     

If you are already consulting Advice & Guidance about an ongoing situation please email your adviser directly to follow up with them.  Anyone requiring a follow up interview will be offered one online via Microsoft Teams.

If you require further advice a follow up consultation can be booked for you.  If you are unable to call the AdviceLine and would like to discuss your situation via email please use the online booking form to detail your enquiry and confirm your availability for a telephone appointment.

How do I access career guidance?

King’s Careers & Employability offer 1:1 careers guidance and application advice appointments, group workshops, and events entirely in an online format. You can book using King’s CareerConnect and you will get joining instructions when you book. You will also find a huge range of online learning and resources to answer your questions and support all your career learning and employability development on our King’s Careers KEATS site.

You can also contact us at and we will endeavour to respond to you personally as quickly as possible.

How do I access counselling & mental health support?

We offer free and confidential mental health support to all King’s students. We are providing online alternatives for all scheduled appointments Appointments and triage assessments will take place via Microsoft Teams or over the phone, and we will be offering email check-ins. 

We are open to new registrations as normal. Our administrative team or your counsellor or mental health adviser will be in contact to make specific arrangements for this if you already have an appointment booked or are already registered with the Service.

If you need to get in touch with us directly, please email us at may find it helpful to check out some resources for online support from Big White Wall and Mind on looking after your wellbeing.

How do I access disability support?

We have a range of information available about the disability support at King’s, funding considerations and the support offer available to help you engage with your course. Team members are available via email at and we can offer online appointments for a more in depth discussion with a disability adviser.

Disabled Students Allowance is available for home students to cover additional costs of studying with a disability. For this and other sources of support see Student Services Online.

We will continue to offer Study skills and assistive software support in the new academic year have a comprehensive range of self-help guides for students to access and self-support. 

How do I access library resources and support?

A wide range of online databases, journals, ebooks and other material is available online. Due to licencing restrictions some resources are not available off campus – these resources will be clearly marked. We have a variety of online support and learning to help you access and make the most of our resources.

Our primary email address and our online library chat service is available Monday – Friday 09.30-17.30.

Student Wellbeing and Mental Health

What wellbeing support is available?

If you would like to discuss anything related to your studies, we recommend emailing your personal tutor in the first instance.

If you feel emotionally impacted, please do make use of the support services available to you.

  • Student Services Online – a range of informative articles and enquiry forms for direct contact with Student Services
  • Togetherall – a 24-hour confidential online support and wellbeing service.
  • Chaplaincy - for all faiths and none the Chaplains are availalbe for informal discussions. Contact the Dean's office on +44 (0)20 7848 2373 and +44 (0)20 7848 2333 or at and
  • KCLSU Advice

What should I do if I experience threatening or abusive behaviour?

We take all allegations of abuse and harassment very seriously. If any of you are a victim of a hate crime and feel comfortable reporting it immediately, we encourage you contact the Metropolitan Police on 999. Alternatively, you can report the incident to the Police online

Students can report any matters that take place within the King’s community to the Advice & Guidance team by contacting If you experience any threatening behaviour outside of King’s, please contact the police and the Advice & Guidance team who can support you with this. 

If you have suffered abuse and harassment or are worried that someone you know has you can also submit a referral through the Student of Concern process.

Your health and self-isolating

What measures will be in place to protect my health and wellbeing?

Personal safety, health and well-being of our students and staff are the top priority of the university. We are following the guidance set out by UK Government and Public Health England. Guidance in the form of a mandatory e-learning course will be provided in advance to all students and staff before they come onto our campuses and adherence to the guidance will be continually monitored and managed. Measures in place will include safe distancing across the King's estate:

  • we expect students and staff to wear face coverings inside our buildings unless they are exempt
  • 2m safe distancing
  • provision of hand sanitisers at entrance points and in common spaces
  • provision of disinfectant wipes to clean study and work areas and any shared equipment before and after use
  • Cleaning protocols across all university buildings
  • If a student becomes unwell with COVID-19 symptoms we have a clear process in place to support them.


What should I do if I think I have COVID-19 symptoms?

The most important symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) to look out for are the recent onset of any of the following:

  • a new continuous cough
  • a high temperature
  • a loss of, or change in, your normal sense of taste or smell (anosmia)

For most people, coronavirus (COVID-19) will be a mild illness. However, if you have any of the symptoms above you must stay at home and arrange to have a test to see if you have COVID-19 – go to testing to arrange.


What should I do if I've been advised to self-isolate?

It’s really important that anyone who is self-isolating notifies us straight away by filling in this online form. This will be shared directly with the Advice & Guidance team so that anyone with no support or who has tested positive for Coronavirus can be contacted directly to discuss advice, support and resources available to them.

We also ask you to reach out to your personal tutor or department office to let them know you're self-isolating and unable to attend classes in person, and anyone close to you or nearby who be able to support you.


I live in the private sector and I am self-isolating with no support network can anyone help me?

If you are self-isolating (for any reason) and are estranged from your family or unable to return home because it is not safe for you or your family to do so, and need support please contact Advice & Guidance who can provide you advice and support on accessing help in your local area. 

If I am advised to self-isolate, can I apply for mitigating circumstances?

We acknowledge this situation will be disruptive and appreciate that engagement with your studies may be difficult. If you feel like your learning is impacted because of self-isolation, please use the usual Mitigating Circumstances application process. We will work with your faculty to identify ways in which learning can be substituted. Please be reassured that mitigation will be applied as appropriate for those required to self-isolate.

KCLSU Advice can also provide you free, confidential and impartial academic advice.  

Fees and funding

Will my maintenance payments be delayed?

The Student Loans Company have confirmed that you will continue to receive your scheduled instalments of Maintenance Loan, irrespective of whether you are currently studying off-campus due to alternative teaching arrangements. You can find full, regularly updated information from the Student Loans Company on their website. 

I'm moving out of university accommodation due to the Coronavirus outbreak. Will my Maintenance Loan be affected?

We have been advised by Student Finance England that you  will not have your entitlement reduced if you have ended your university accommodation contract early.

Does the move to emergency online teaching and assessment during the 2019/20 academic year affect my tuition fees? 

As a result of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, and in line with UK government requirements to protect the health and wellbeing of our students and staff, all our teaching and assessment is now being carried out online for the 2019/20 academic year. Although on-campus teaching is unable to take place, the university continues to provide its students with appropriate opportunities and support to enable them  to continue their studies and achieve their desired learning outcomes. Students can continue to learn and study online and have access to a broad range of services, resources and advice digitally, including Careers & Employability, Student Services, Office 365, Keats, Lecture Capture (Echo 360) and Student Records, using their King’s IT credentials.

We have taken these steps in response to government requirements and with the safety of staff and students as a paramount consideration. The immediacy and scale of the impact has been beyond the reasonable control of the university. A number of measures have been put in place to deliver teaching and learning online and to revise assessments in such a way that students can demonstrate learning outcomes at the appropriate standard, and are not disadvantaged by the current situation or by their individual circumstances.

We will continue to take steps to apply mitigations as the situation develops and government requirements are updated. As the university is satisfied that the mitigations it has put in place in this context are appropriate to ensure continued delivery of courses and minimise any impact on students' learning outcomes and progression, the university will not be able to consider any requests for  discounts or reimbursement of tuition fees at this time. We would therefore ask all students to work with the university and engage with the present steps we are taking to deliver courses.  

However, if you have engaged with the university's revised delivery method for your course and you continue to have concerns or wish to make a complaint then you may do so. The university will consider any complaint carefully and on its own merits in line with its current policy and process. However, we will be able to assess the validity of any complaint only once we have finished delivering teaching and support through primarily online means. We would recommend, except in exceptional circumstances, that students wait until after the end of this academic year before submitting formal (Stage Two) complaints so that the mitigations put in place by the university can be properly assessed.

Exams and assessments

The assessment period runs 24 August to 4 September. Assessments will be conducted in formats that enable students to complete and submit work online.  

We would like to reassure you that no student will be disadvantaged by any of the changes we put in place to our assessment and examination process this year as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. We have put in place policies thast provide a range of mitigations. We thank everyone for their patience as we continue to navigate this challenging and unsettling time together.

Further guidance on assessments is available here.

Graduation Ceremonies

When will graduations take place?

We have been marking the achievements of our graduates virtually in August. We fully expect to hold graduation celebrations in London in the future, which will be open to all those cohorts of students affected by the present circumstances. We will update you as soon as we can

Travel and visas

What is the advice on international travel?

Please check both the advice of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and the advice of your own government before making any arrangements to travel to and from the UK. It is important to make sure that you have the correct immigration permission before travelling. Further information on study and work abroad can be found below.

What are the arrangement for study & work abroad?

For students who are studying or working overseas as part of your degree, we can reassure you that you will not be academically disadvantaged if you choose to return home at any point.

Students embarking on placements in 2020/21 will be following advice from their department and host organisations. 

For the 2020/21 academic year
To ensure the safety of our students, King's has taken the decision to suspend study and work abroad to the end of 2020. If your programme usually involves a compulsory year abroad or international placement, we can assure you that you will not be academically penalised as a result of this decision and we have been working to provide alternatives for multiple courses.

Students joining or returning to King’s are advised against formulating plans for study or work abroad - including internships and placements - with organisations outside of the territory in which they are studying and living for the rest of the 2020 calendar year without explicit and exceptional approval from King’s to do so. As the situation continues to evolve, and travel restrictions are subject to change, we will continue to monitor and review.

King's is unable to sanction and/or sign any form of a Host Agreement for work opportunities alongside your studies or during vacation periods, unless undertaking such an opportunity is possible without international travel. For example, if a student is already based in the host country, or if the opportunity can be conducted remotely or online, then this may be granted. Please continue to review the latest advice on this via King's Careers & Employability intranet:

King's is aiming to lift the travel suspension from January 2021 with additional risk mitigations in place to support this. Details of these mitigations will be provided to students engaging with study or work abroad opportunities in due course.

I already have a Tier 4 visa, can I apply for my new Tier 4 visa in the UK?

You must check that you meet the UK immigration eligibility requirements to apply for your visa in the UK.

If you need support with your individual situation, or have questions on the application process, please contact the Student Advice & Guidance Team for further guidance.

I'm a student and worried about my Tier-4 visa if I study remotely

If you are a current student and hold a valid Tier 4 visa, providing you continue to take part in your studies online, UKVI concessions confirm that you will still meet the conditions of your visa. If you have any questions regarding your situation, please get in contact the Student Advice & Guidance Team.

More information is available in our guidance for remote study.

My visa is expiring/has expired, what should I do?

If you are inside the UKThe latest UKVI COVID Guidance extended their concessions for those whose immigration permission expires between 24 January 2020 and 31 August 2020. 

If your visa expires between 24 January 2020 and 31 August 2020, you will be able to remain in the UK until the 31August 2020 under the same conditions of your most recent leave. You are not required to request permission from the UKVI to do so. Instead you must either apply for a new visa before the 31 August 2020, if you are staying the UK or if you are not planning on extending your leave, you must make arrangements to leave UK by 31 August 2020.

If you are planning on leaving the UK but are not able to do so by the 31 August 2020, please get in contact with the Student Advice & Guidance Team. If you are outside of the UKIf you are overseas and your visa has expired or is due to expire before you are due back in the UK to resume your studies, you will need to make a new Tier 4 Visa application before you can return to the UK. If you need support with your individual situation, or have questions on the application process, please contact the Student Advice & Guidance Team


Do I need a letter to support my return to the UK when teaching resumes on campus?

If you have a valid Tier 4 visa, you will be able to re-enter the UK using your current passport and valid Tier 4 visa. We would always advise students to carry a ‘Confirmation of Studies’ letter in your hand luggage or on your phone when you travel, as evidence that you are still studying if you are questioned on re-entry. You can download this via Student Services Online. 

If your Tier 4 visa has expired or will expire before you return to the UK, please contact the Student Advice & Guidance Team for further guidance.

What travel restrictions are there for students coming to the UK?

If you’re travelling to the UK from abroad please check the latest travel advice on the UK government website or on your own government website, and any updates or changes to travel corridors and quarantine requirements.