King’s Defence Engagement
The King's Defence Engagement brings together the collective expertise of the Defence Studies Department (DSD) and the wider university to advise and work with partner organisations on a global basis on the development and delivery of new and enhanced professional military education (PME) solutions.
Examples of partnering activities include work on PME in the Balkan region as part of a joint UK-Norway initiative, support to the Baltic Defence College in Estonia and various initiatives in Africa including work in Rwanda and Nigeria, and on projects with the British Peace Support Teams in outreach engagement.
King’s Defence Engagement offers:
- Advice on curriculum design to support PME
- Expert scoping of possible country specific requirements with a view to developing projects and programmes, with a particular emphasis on long term strategic outputs
- Audits, reviews and reports relating to all aspects of PME and advice on the use of educational resources and best practice
- Direct involvement in curriculum design and the delivery of new courses, with particular emphasis on long term strategic outputs
- Design and implementation of decision-making table-top exercises exercises as an innovative means for organisational and individual training and development
- Train the trainer courses for academics working in PME
- Short courses on various subject matter across the field of defence, conflict, and security studies
For more information on the role and services of King’s Defence Engagement please contact: Professor Greg Kennedy
The CMEO has a wide-range of objectives relating to PME that reflect its interest in both providing direct support to those overseas institutions and departments who require it and developing an academic environment for further reflection and study.
An important part of its remit is to also be available to offer assistance to countries attempting to develop or reform their PME either via direct request or in agreement with relevant UK bodies. Each project is approached in a bespoke manner with the response designed to provide maximum assistance to individual requirements. In each instance an appropriate level of academic and military expertise is deployed to address the specific challenge.