Idea Factory is King’s College London’s flagship idea generation competition!
The competition aims to nurture the biggest and best ideas from across the university that have the potential to grow into ventures. It’s a fantastic chance to develop your skills and win amazing prizes and mentorship.
Whatever your interest or passion, we want you to get creative and submit your ideas for new innovations, products or services.
Participating in Idea Factory is a great way to win support to help make an idea a reality. Taking part in supporting workshops will give you skills in generating and pitching ideas with clarity and enthusiasm and you'll gain confidence, meet like-minded people and have fun!
Applications are now open!
How does it work?
Step 1) take part in our series of events, webinars and workshops that will help you to have, develop and communicate your idea effectively:
- 14th November - Spotting Opportunities for Disruption
- 5th December (webinar) - How to Validate your Idea THIS ONE IS SUPER IMPORTANT
- 4th February - How to Create a Compelling Pitch
- 6th February - How to Create a Compelling Pitch (by popular demand!)
Step 2) using everything you’ve learned from these events, complete your application form by the deadline 31st January 2020.
If you'd like some support on your application, or have questions you want answered, then we're running a drop-in support session on 21st January between 1-3pm. Sign up https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/idea-factory-drop-in-support-session-tickets-88843965693
Applications will then be assessed, and 20 semi-finalists chosen.
Step 3) 20 semi-finalists attend our half day bootcamp on Wednesday 19th February.
Before lunch 10 finalists will be selected to progress to the afternoon.
The semi-finalists that do not progress will have sessions planning their next steps and an exclusive Q+A with an entrepreneur.
Step 4) 6pm Wednesday 19th February - 10 finalists will face a panel of expert judges in front of a live audience. They will pitch their idea and take questions from the judges who will decide how the £6000 prize pot will be divided.
Step 5) Winners are announced at the Award Ceremony at the House of Lords on Tuesday 25th February. The final 10 teams are invited to the event.
- £6,000 prize pot and amazing support package to get your business up and running
- Mentorship from Entrepreneurship Institute’s Experts in Residence on topics from growth hacking and investment to branding and business strategy
- Access to the Entrepreneurship Institute Co-Working Space one day a week
- If you’re serious about really growing your venture, we may fast track your application to the King’s20 Accelerator and guarantee you an interview.
Previous judges have been: Emma Jones MBE, Enterprise Nation, Prof Stefan Allesch-Taylor CBE and Jeff Skinner, London Business School.
Stay tuned to find out who will be judging our finalists this year!
Entry is open to King’s students, staff and alumni (of up to three years) across all faculties and departments.
King's undergraduate students, postgraduate students, alumni (within three years of graduating) and post-doctoral researchers are allowed to enter the Idea Factory competition alone, although team work is strongly encouraged.
King's staff cannot enter alone and must have a King's undergraduate student, postgraduate student or post-doctoral researcher as part of their team. The lead applicant must be a student or alumni.
The application form is now live and the deadline for entries is Friday 31st January at midnight.
- Attend our workshops & networking events
- Attend other events hosted by the Entrepreneurship Institute
- Speak to your classmates/members of societies you're part of
- Post a description of who/what you're looking for on our Facebook page
Yes, if you are still eligible, and you are submitting an entirely different idea.
Please also note that if you have won an Entrepreneurship Institute funded competition already, you can not apply to the Idea Factory with the same idea that King’s has already given you grant money for.
Participation in Idea Factory events contribute towards the King's Enterprise Award.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of the team will gladly get back to you.