The IoPPN Summer School is a week-long event open to high-achieving, dedicated, and motivated medical students and foundation year doctors. Our aim is to promote psychiatry to those who are wondering about a career in psychiatry, but have yet to make up their minds. We run a range of talks and activities which we hope will give the attendees an insight into many aspects of psychiatry, to enable them to make an informed decision about their future. This well-established event is highly rated and keeps content fresh and relevant to anyone wanting to find out more about a career in psychiatry in the UK.
Registration is now open: the deadline is 31/03/2020
Who is it for?
The IoPPN summer school is open to high-achieving, dedicated and motivated medical students and Foundation Year doctors.
I'm undertaking a non medical degree - can I apply?
As places are limited and demand is high we are only able to accept those undertaking medical degrees.
I'm considering retraining in psychiatry - can I apply?
Doctors from other specialties considering retraining are welcome to apply, and we hope that it would prove a useful week for helping to weigh up the pros and cons of the switch.
What if I don’t get a place on the Summer School?
The Summer School is limited to 30 places, as many of our activities are not feasible with a larger group. However, due to popular demand, this year we are holding a pioneering event on Thursday 9th July 2020, open to anyone who applies to the Summer School. This day will cover the essentials and core aspects of the Summer School that are suitable for a large audience. Everyone who applies to the Summer School will be invited to this event. Unfortunately, only the 30 applicants selected to attend the whole Summer School will be able to attend for the rest of the week (6th, 7th, 8th and 10th July 2020) which offers additional, varied, and bespoke learning opportunities.
I'm a doctor with a special interest in psychiatry - is the summer school suitable?
This Summer School is specifically for medical students and junior doctors who are weighing up whether to apply for psychiatry training. The focus therefore is to show the range of the specialty and understanding of what life as a psychiatrist is like, so as to enable them to make an informed decision about their future. Our aim is not to teach more psychiatry itself, and so it would not be an appropriate way to explore your special interest.
What does the summer school offer?
- Key lectures, seminars and debates on cutting-edge and controversial topics in psychiatry with leading academics and clinicians in the field working at the IoPPN, South London and the Maudsley NHS Trust (SLaM), and the Royal College of Psychiatrists (RCPsych).
- Opportunities to meet and network with internationally renowned researchers and clinicians, including Professor Sir Simon Wessely (Regius Professor of Psychiatry) and Professor Sir Robin Murray (Professor of Psychiatric Research).
- Patient and carer accounts, ward visits and speed-dating. Interactive workshops giving advice and guidance towards core training and academic training application processes.
- Evening reception
- The IoPPN summer school offers the unparalleled opportunity to stay with a psychiatrist in their home, if required. Places are limited for this so can only be offered to those who would be unable to attend the Summer School without this.
- Refreshments and lunch are provided throughout the week.
- Free WiFi is available.
- Certificates are distributed on the last day of the course.