I cannot recommend the summer school enough for anyone, whether you are sold on psychiatry or looking to be convinced. I can assure you, it would not be a wasted opportunity.Abbie McAlinden (3rd Year Medical Student, University of Aberdeen)
IoPPN Summer School 2024
The Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience (IoPPN) offers a free, 3-day face-to-face summer school in the heart of South London from 3-5 July 2024. It aims to inspire and enthuse those considering a career in psychiatry, and provide an insight into the innovative, exciting and rewarding fields of clinical and academic psychiatry.
Who is it for?
The IoPPN Summer School is open to medical students and Foundation Year doctors in the UK.
What does the summer school offer?
- Key lectures, seminars and debates on cutting-edge and controversial topics in psychiatry with leading academics and clinicians in the field working at the IoPPN, South London and the Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust (SLaM), and the Royal College of Psychiatrists (RCPsych).
- Opportunities to meet and network with internationally renowned researchers and clinicians.
- Patient and carer accounts and specialties speed-dating
- Interactive workshops giving advice and guidance towards core training and academic training application processes, interview skills and ‘a day in the life of a psychiatrist.’
- Site visit to the historic Bethlem Royal Hospital, including a tour of the Museum of the Mind and Bethlem Gallery
The following links are to hotels within a 30 minute (via public transport) journey of the IOPPN. Please note that the IOPPN does NOT endorse any particular option, we provide these simply to provide an idea of what’s available. There are obviously myriad accommodation options in London and we would strongly advise you carry out your own thorough search, but the locations below may provide a useful starting point for planning where you might stay.
King’s College London short-let rooms will be available from April 2024 at Stamford Street and Great Dover Street, see link for more details. Rates will be from £60 per night according to availability.
Refreshments and lunch are provided.
How to apply:
Complete the application form.
You will need to be available for all three days.
Places are limited and highly competitive.
Closing date for applications is midnight Friday 22 March 2024.
For queries, please contact: email@example.com
The IoPPN Summer School provided fascinating insights in to the many facets of psychiatry. The timetable was full of exciting and varied activities and gave a flavour of what a rewarding specialty psychiatry is to work in.Chris Hatton (4th Year Medical Student, Hull York Medical School)
The IoPPN summer school was brilliant. I’d had ideas about psychiatry throughout various stages of my medical school career and this really helped broaden my perspectives on the speciality.Rob Sinnerton (4th Year medical student, Cardiff University)
Search for another event