Introduction to Health Informatics
Date: 13th January 2020 – 17th January 2020
Venue: IoPPN Boardroom, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neurosciences (IoPPN), King's College London. View Map.
This course will provide a comprehensive introduction to the fundamentals of modern health-focused informatics research. The course will delve into a problems intrinsic to the domain, as well as general questions of how informatics techniques can help alleviate them, enabling the re-use o improve workflow and care.
This 5-day course is open to a range of student backgrounds to serve as an introductory component of medical and health informatics and the diverse issues related to electronic medical records, public health research and eHealth.
In this course, students will understand the major issues related to applying informatics techniques to the medical domain as well as the challenges faced by researchers working on medical records today. The students will also have obtained hands-on experience through analysis of case studies the advantages and challenges of applying health informatics techniques in various clinical and medical settings.
On completion of the course, participants will
- Understand the sources of data in healthcare and medicine and their individual and shared properties and characteristics.
- Understand the need for informatics techniques to mine, structure, aggregate and analyse health and medical data.
- To recognise available longitudinal medical datasets and to a number of them.
- To understand the concepts of data aggregation, cleaning, structuring and the different formats for saving healthcare medical data.
- To appreciate the need for standardisation of medical data, and have good knowledge of existing medical nomenclatures standards, e.g. ICD and SNOMED CT.
- To understand the role played by knowledge representation and management as well as machine techniques in health informatics research.
Cost and Booking
Booking / Application
- External Early bird: £855 (till 15/11/19, price thereafter £950)
- KCL Staff Early bird: £641.25 (till15/11/19, price thereafter £712.50)
- KCL Student Early bird: £427.50 (till 15/11/19, price thereafter £475)
- Other student Early bird: £641.25 (till 15/11/19, price thereafter £712.50)
- King's Health Partners Early bird: £641.25 (till 15/11/19, price thereafter £712.50)
That is, 50% discount to King's College London PhD students, 25% discount to other students and staff at King's College London and King's Health Partners.
Your place will not be confirmed until payment has been made. Failure to cancel without sufficient notice will forfeit your course fee and access to future courses. If you would like to pay by internal transfer, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org