Job id: 067306. Salary: £35,254 - £65,584 pro rata, including London Weighting Allowance.
Posted: 15 May 2023. Closing date: 08 June 2023.
Business unit: Dentistry, Oral & Craniofacial Sciences. Department: Centre for Dental Education.
Contact details: Robert Seath. Robert.firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Portsmouth. Category: Academic & Teaching.
Part-time (minimum one day a week) clinical teachers are required to teach in our Dental Outreach clinics.
These posts would be ideally suited to an experienced or a specialist dental practitioner with an interest in the education of dental students. A major aspect of the posts is to provide clinical teaching and support for the training of BDS undergraduates (and DCP students). Clinical teachers will also be expected to deliver seminars and possibly lectures, assess students and provide feedback on their performance. Support will be provided if needed.
Posts are available at various sites including:
Portsmouth Dental Academy – outreach site
Applicants should be experienced and fully GDC Registered Dentists. An appropriate honorary clinical contract will be requested from the appropriate NHS Trust and the successful applicant will be expected to take part in all aspects of clinical governance activities
Applicants from a general practice environment are encouraged and the Faculty also values postgraduate qualifications, employing specialist clinical teachers in a range of specialities.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract
This is a part-time post - 20% full time equivalent
- To undertake clinical teaching as directed by the Head of Department/Team.
- Be responsible for the teaching, assessment, feedback, monitoring, and progress of, undergraduate and dental care professional students, under your nominated supervision, in clinical practice relevant to the Department. The teaching may include seminars, tutorials, lectures, clinical skills teaching and clinical teaching with patients.
- Contribution to setting and marking assessments, and curriculum development as necessary
- Participate in clinical and other service activities as requested by Head of Department or approved individual
- Attendance at Teacher Education and Inset training days
- Comply with NHS Trust mandatory training and comply with NHS Trust policies
- Ensure that information of a confidential nature is kept strictly confidential.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post. Teachers may also be required to teach on different sites within the University.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- BDS or equivalent registerable primary dental qualfication
- Full registration with UK GDC
- Ability to supervise undergraduate students
- Enthusiastic approach to teaching
- Significant demonstrable post qualification experience
- Experience of treating patients needing the specific type of dentistry in which you would prefer to teach.
- Participation in clinical audit projects
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Good communication skills
- Commitment to ethical workplace behaviour
- Regular attendance and good time keeping
- Willingness to be flexible about working times
- Satisfactory pre-employment health screening
- Meet the UK right to work requirements
- Specialist qualification
- FDS, MFDS, MJDF or equivalent
- Certificate in teaching
This post will normally be based in Portsmouth at the outreach venue but staff may occasionally be required to work at other locations.