Job id: 067806. Salary: £27662 per annum, including London Weighting Allowance, Grade 3.
Posted: 24 May 2023. Closing date: 05 June 2023.
Business unit: Strategic Comms & External Relations. Department: News & Brand PR.
Contact details: Isabelle Coombes. Isabelle.firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Guy’s Campus. Category: Professional & Support Services.
King’s College London is one of the world’s top universities with an ambitious vision, where communication with our key audiences is critical. The Communications Assistant is a key team member in the Corporate Communications team, handling front-line media activities and supporting the successful delivery of the integrated Corporate Communication strategy. The post holder will be working on a wide-range of projects, focused on inspiring and engaging the institution’s stakeholders, building King’s reputation for academic excellence, showcasing key research and educational breakthroughs, and highlighting King’s philanthropic endeavours and achievements.
What you'll need to succeed You’ll be a dynamic, driven person with an ability to engage with a range of colleagues, including journalists. We need a confident self-starter, who works well under pressure and who uses a keen news sense, creativity and initiative to create engaging content. The ability to build effective relationships is essential.
This is a full-time, permanent post
- Handle front-line media requests in a busy news room and manage phone and email enquiries from external and internal stakeholders
- Set-up press interviews, track and evaluate coverage across online, print and broadcast media
- Assist the Senior Communications Managers to identify opportunities for PR opportunities, media engagement and social media content, as directed.
- Work with the Faculty Communications leads and academics to develop and optimise positive communications and engagement with key stakeholders and priority agencies and outlets
- Plan and support external engagement activities, including corporate events, conferences and filming etc.
- Assist in the production of materials for digital and print distribution
- Research PR and media landscapes in key markets and build up lists of contacts for key subject areas to support the Senior Communications Managers, as directed.
- Assist with media campaigns e.g. support the distribution of media releases, write news stories and create social media posts and related content.
- Research news and information about King’s and its faculties for a variety of purposes and user preferences
- Create and produce news releases, videos briefs, podcasts, web stories, blogs.
- Assist in social and digital media activities including updating websites as directed
- Collaborate with other Corporate Communication colleagues on activities, utilising a full range of outlets
- Maximise the impact of positive PR and media engagement with both external and internal audiences
- Support filming/interviews on campus
- Coordinate the Corporate Communications Team’s evaluation reporting
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent experience.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills with the ability to manage conflicting priorities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to understand and translate complex information quickly
- Attention to detail and proof-reading skills.
- Good computer skills, including using Microsoft Office.
- A collaborative attitude to work, supporting others and with the ability to build effective links and relationships with a range of stakeholders.
- A proactive approach to work, knowing when to work independently and flexibly but also when best to work as part of a team. Enthusiastic self-starter with a positive and determined approach.
- Experience of using evaluation tools to report on and improve activities.
- Experience of working in the higher education sector.