Job id: 067870. Salary: £41,386 - £44,745 per annum, including London Weighting Allowance.
Posted: 24 May 2023. Closing date: 21 June 2023.
Business unit: Natural, Mathematical & Engineering Sci. Department: Engineering.
Contact details: Professor Rym M’Halla. email@example.com
Location: Strand Campus. Category: Research.
We are advertising for a post-doctoral Research Associate position at King’s College London (KCL) to work with Prof. Rym M’Hallah (KCL), Prof. Christine Currie (University of Southampton), Prof. Julia Bennell and Dr. Chiara Calastri (University of Leeds) on large scale optimization techniques and revenue management with applications to Demand responsive transport systems.
Of particular interest is the investigation, at theoretical and algorithmic levels, of exact and heuristic optimisation approaches using stochastic data, to routing and pricing.
The successful candidate should have a PhD in Operations Research, Mathematics, Computer Science, Industrial Engineering, or Transport Engineering.
The post will be based within the Department of Engineering, KCL. The department is located at the Strand campus of King's, located in the centre of London. The post involves regular in-person meetings at Southampton and Leeds.
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact Professor Rym M’Hallah, Christine Currie, Julia Bennell or Chiara Calastri.
This post will be offered on a fixed-term contract from 4th September 2023 until 31st August 2026.
This is a full-time post - 100% full time equivalent.
- Carry out innovative research on large scale optimization of dynamic vehicle routing problems, revenue management optimization, and machine learning
- Write scientific papers and technical reports
- Work with PhD students and research team and communicate with stakeholders
- Present at conferences and workshops
- Meet with stakeholders to develop a deep understanding of the problem and to disseminate findings.
- To perform a small amount of administration work directly relevant to the project.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- Strong foundation in mathematics and deep knowledge of exact optimization techniques, heuristics and matheuristics
- Experience of implementing data analytics and machine learning
- Experience of using and implementing mathematical programming (including constraint programming)
1. Strong foundation in mathematics and deep knowledge of exact optimization techniques, heuristics and matheuristics
2. Experience of implementing data analytics and machine learning
3. Experience of using and implementing mathematical programming (including constraint programming)
4. Good understanding of the concepts of revenue management
5. Proven track record of high-quality research publications in peer reviewed journals and international conferences
6. Excellent programming skills (including Python and off-the-shelf solvers)
7. Experience in using and implementing stochastic optimization and simulation
8. Excellent written and oral communication skills
9. Ability to work co-operatively within a team striving for collective excellence.
1. Understanding of Behavioural Science
2. Knowledge of digital twin systems