Job id: 067948. Salary: £35,502 - £40,333 per annum, including London Weighting Allowance.
Posted: 26 May 2023. Closing date: 31 May 2023.
Business unit: Faculty of Life Sciences & Medicine. Department: London Inst. for Healthcare Engineering.
Contact details: Nicolas Huber. email@example.com
Location: St Thomas’ Campus. Category: Professional & Support Services.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Professional Services team in the School of Biomedical Engineering & Imaging Sciences at King’s College London. We are seeking to appoint an experienced and highly professional administrator to provide support to the School and specific support to the London Institute for Healthcare Engineering (LIHE).
The post holder will work closely with the Director of Commercial Operations and Partnerships (LIHE) and the School Manager, along with other professional services staff within the School, to provide efficient operational support and high quality administrative and finance support to stakeholders, staff and students within LIHE.
The post holder will be highly numerate and able to interpret data, with strong communication skills, able to engage a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
The responsibilities of this post are varied, and is pivotal to the operational support of the LIHE, an exciting and high profile part of King’s College London. The post will suit a candidate with excellent organisational skills who has good eye for detail. They will be someone who thrives in a busy environment with tight deadlines. They will have excellent spoken and written communication skills, building good working relationships with the School’s academics and researchers as well as other core Professional Services staff across the School and university. The post holder will gain a valuable understanding of departmental operations and would be an excellent opportunity for someone looking to develop their project management skills.
The London Institute for Healthcare Engineering (LIHE), part of the vision for St Thomas’ MedTech Hub, led by the School of Biomedical Engineering & Imaging Sciences. The Institute is located in a new building on the St Thomas’ Hospital site which brings together King’s research excellence, Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust’s leading clinical practice and the MedTech sector’s commercial innovation power and talent, engaging multinationals, SMEs and start-ups simultaneously.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract
This is a full-time post
Working closely with the Director of Commercial Operations and Partnership for LIHE, the post holder will:
• Provide full Project/Programme administration support, for example support for startup acceleration programmes
• Provide day-to-day support for operations activities within the LIHE
• Work closely with the School’s core team and other Professional Services staff in the Department, to provide local operational support, including assisting with research grant applications (including costings), post-award management, staff and student recruitment campaigns, processing claims and invoices, communicating with suppliers, providing site access to visitors and following up on actions
• Support the management of commercial contracts, and facilitate operations related to industry partnerships
• Prepare communications, draft presentations, briefing documents and background materials as required
• Support meetings, boards, and committees, including the coordination, preparation and distribution of papers and taking notes or minutes, as required
• Support the organisation of events and projects, including visiting delegations
• Participate in cross-School, -Faculty and -university projects and initiatives
• Communicate in a clear and precise way with individuals at different levels
• Build strong working relationships with colleagues and stakeholders, in the Department, the School, the Faculty, across King’s and with external stakeholders
• Provide advice and guidance and, where appropriate, training on university policies, processes and where required, source information and support for colleagues to facilitate their work
• Ensure accurate data is maintained and accessible
• Act as first point of contact for both School staff and students and colleagues in central directorates (such as HR, Estates & Facilities and Finance).
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Minimum level 4 qualification, e.g., higher apprenticeship, HNC or other Level 4 award, plus relevant work experience OR Considerable knowledge and skills gained through work experience in a relevant post, demonstrating development through progressively more demanding work and the completion of professional training
2. Knowledge and experience of a wide range of administration processes, applying established processes to complete tasks, with experience of recording and improving processes
3. Experience of project/programme support
4. Highly numerate with proven financial management and analytical skills
5. Excellent data management and document control skills
6. Clear spoken and written communication skills
7. IT literate, knowledge of Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook etc and keyboard skills, and experience and good knowledge of using complex databases and management information systems
8. Commitment to good practice and accuracy with a good attention to detail
9. Ability to work under pressure in a busy environment, multitask and deal with competing demands
1. Experience of working in a higher education institute with an understanding of the higher education funding environment
2. Knowledge of GDPR and best practice to ensure compliance
3. Experience of managing research grants and/or university finance
4. Experience of building an effective network across a complex organisation and with a range of external stakeholders including SMEs, Universities and NHS Trusts
5. Committee servicing
About the School: