Job id: 074985. Salary: £51,174- £60,221 per annum, including London Weighting Allowance.
Posted: 18 September 2023. Closing date: 02 October 2023.
Business unit: Social Science & Public Policy. Department: School of Security Studies School Office.
Contact details: Alexander Hitchens. Alexander.firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Strand Campus. Category: Professional & Support Services.
The Global Network on Extremism and Technology (GNET) is the academic research arm of the Global Internet Forum to Counter Terrorism (GIFCT) and is based at the International Centre for the Study of Radicalisation (ICSR). GNET brings together academics from around the world and industry partners to examine how violent extremists exploit technology. Since its launch, it has established itself as a leading academic repository in the security studies field. GNET is now seeking to recruit a Research Manager to join its team in London.
A central responsibility of the Research Manager is to work closely with the Principal Investigator, the GNET Project Manager, and GIFCT to deliver this research grant. It will be their responsibility to continuously innovate the project and adapt it to developing needs from the funder, but also the wider online threat landscape which is always evolving. The post-holder is also expected to represent GNET at conferences, and in meetings with various partners and stakeholders.
Additionally, the post-holder is expected to peer-review all GNET reports, as well as generate a policy section for each one. The person appointed will also moderate launch events for all reports. They will be part of a multi-disciplinary team, with an authoritative role on strategic planning and outputs, and line-management responsibilities. The role will be part of the School of Security Studies Professional Services team, and will be jointly line managed by the Head of School Administration and the Principal Investigator (PI) of the GNET grant.
This contract is likely to be renewed on an annual basis.
This post will be offered on a fixed-term contract until 31 December 2024.
This is a full-time post - 100% full time equivalent
- Manage the delivery of this research grant alongside the Principal Investigator
- Line management of the GNET Project Manager
- Actively participate in regular meetings with GIFCT (project funder)
- In coordination with the Project Manager and GIFCT, guide the research GNET produces based on trends in the online space
- Produce a policy paper for all GNET reports and host launch events
- Assist with producing ad-hoc research outputs as per GIFCT requests
- Assist with peer reviewing and editing all GNET reports
- Represent GNET at meetings and conferences
- Assist with other general research centre related tasks where needed
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Substantial vocational and relevant management experience in the area of security and terrorism research
2. Experience in people and project management
3. Proven analytical and problem-solving capability
4. Proven communication and interpersonal skills
5. Evidence of significant knowledge in the field of extremism and technology
6. Experience engaging with policymakers to promote research uptake
7. Track record of writing journal articles, reports, or other publications relating to terrorism, extremism, and radicalisation