Job id: 079268. Salary: £61,896 - £67,229 per annum, including London Weighting Allowance.
Posted: 20 November 2023. Closing date: 10 December 2023.
Business unit: Research Management & Innovation. Department: Industry Partnerships.
Contact details: Vassilis Georgiadis. email@example.com
Location: Guys Campus. Category: Professional & Support Services.
Under Innovation@King’s, which brings together Industry Partnerships, the Translational Research Office and the innovation support functions of Intellectual Property & Licensing as a single team, King’s College London is seeking an Industry Partnerships Programme Manager with a primary focus on the KCL Health Faculties. The Programme Manager is expected to have a parallel, ad hoc focus on the KCL Faculty of Natural, Mathematical & Engineering Sciences (NMES).
King’s is a leading UK research-intensive university, with strengths across a breadth of disciplines and a strong ethos of collaborative research with industry. The post holder will focus on the development of industry partnerships in the fields of life sciences & healthcare, however they will be required, as appropriate, to also support or lead activities relating to industry partnerships pertaining to the NMES Faculty.
The Programme Manager will play a central role in the scoping, initiation, development and ongoing management of strategic research partnerships with industry and other external organisations. They will work with senior academic staff to define priority areas for partnership, identify and engage with suitable partners, and manage ongoing relationships to ensure success. As importantly, they are expected to proactively identify candidate partner organisations and acquire knowledge of key market verticals that align with KCL research as target areas for potential collaboration.
The role will form part of an established, high-performing industrial partnership and research development team, working alongside world-class academic researchers and in collaboration with prospective and existing external partners.
The ideal candidate will bring experience of academic-industry partnership (or other relevant experience) along with a background of research in a relevant field (primarily life sciences). They will combine strong strategic, project management and analytical capabilities with diplomacy, negotiation skills and an ability to work well across functions and academic disciplines.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract.
This is a full-time post - 100% full time equivalent.
Driving a substantial increase in research partnerships with industry, through:
- Working with senior academic leaders to define priority areas for the development of industry partnerships.
- Identification of relevant industry partners and relationship-building to obtain a strong understanding of their priorities and needs.
- Developing a comprehensive knowledge of King’s strengths and capabilities, including through collaboration with fellow Industry Partnerships colleagues, TRO Managers and Research Development Managers.
- Supporting and guiding academic staff in developing strategic partnerships with industry, including organisation of key meetings and development of materials highlighting King’s strengths targeted to individual partners.
- Developing and updating knowledge of prospective partners’ key application areas that align with King’s research capabilities.
- Working with the Director and other members of Industry Partnerships towards delivering on the defined KPIs and wider strategy of the team.
- Ongoing relationship management, including working with other functions (e.g. Contracts, IP & Licensing) to agree terms and resolve issues.
- Managing existing partnerships to ensure effective delivery, and working to enhance existing partnerships through increasing scale and expansion into new areas.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- Postgraduate research experience in a subject relevant to life sciences or in engineering sciences with a cross-disciplinary thesis subject and postdoctoral research in applied life sciences (for PhD holders).
- Experience in and understanding of academic or industry R&D and demonstrable ability to map industry needs to academic expertise.
- Ability to lead and contribute to complex, difficult projects, from conception to delivery.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrable presentation skills, including ability and keenness to present to audiences of academic and industry experts and other senior stakeholders, including internal and external conferences.
- High level of numerical and data analytical skills, including spreadsheets and databases with demonstrable proficiency in use of MS packages (e.g. able to design complex spreadsheets).
- High level of work organisation, self-motivation, drive for performance and improvement, and flexibility in approach and attitude, possessing resilience, determination and diplomacy.
- Comfortable working independently and able to build professional networks.
- Positive and constructive approach, including when under pressure.
- PhD or an equivalent level of experience in a subject relevant to life sciences or in engineering sciences with a cross-disciplinary thesis.
- Experience in development and management of industry-academic research partnerships, or other relevant experience in the industry/academic sectors, including business development or management consultancy roles.
- Significant experience in developing strategic reports and business cases to support novel research and technology development as well as experience in supporting and advising/collaboratively working with others to develop business cases or project plans.
- Well-developed leadership and influencing skills with the ability to motivate and involve individuals and teams and the ability to negotiate in a complex environment.