Job id: 079525. Salary: £42,405 - £49,785 per annum, including London Weighting Allowance.
Posted: 21 November 2023. Closing date: 15 January 2024.
Business unit: Natural, Mathematical & Engineering Sci. Department: Physics.
Contact details: Sergi Garcia-Manyes. Sergi.firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: The Francis Crick Institute & Strand Campus. Category: Professional & Support Services.
We are seeking high-quality technical support the biological side of research agenda of Professor Sergi Garcia-Manyes, whose lab is focused on understanding mechanobiology from a single molecule perspective. We are seeking a talented, organized, friendly person who can assist with the molecular and cell biology aspects of the research agenda. We especially need someone who is gifted in molecular biology skills and has vast knowledge in the latest cloning methods, as well as having expertise on cell culture and cell transfection.
The position will be held at the Francis Crick Institute, although it will be managed by King’s College London, within the framework of the seconded laboratory that Prof Garcia-Manyes has established at the Francis Crick Institute. The project is funded by the Leverhulme Trust.
Within King’s, you will be part of the department of Physics, which belongs to the Faculty of Natural, Mathematical & Engineering Sciences (NMES). Supporting our staff is important to us and we offer a range of provision including flexible working, caring support, and training opportunities. The university is making significant investment in the Faculty and both student and staff numbers are growing. Our staff come from over 45 countries and around 56% of our students are from outside the UK.
Further details are available at www.kcl.ac.uk/nms
The study of Physics at King's dates back to the foundation of the College in 1829. The Department is currently undergoing significant growth with substantial investment in new appointments, research infrastructure and laboratory space refurbishment. We offer a range of BSc (three-year) and MSci (four-year) undergraduate courses as well as MSc and PhD programmes.
Further information may be found at: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/physics
This post will be offered on an a fixed term contract for 24 months
This is a full-time post - 100% full time equivalent
- To engage in research and to take a role in determining the future path of this research
- To manage the day-to-day tasks of a molecular and cell biology laboratory
- To conduct high-profile molecular biology work, including DNA work, expression and purification of proteins.
- To conduct high profile cell biology work, including cell culture, cell transfections, etc.
- Train and advise new members of the laboratory on the molecular and cell biology part of the research
- Keep the protein laboratory under appropriate health and safety conditions
- Take a leading role in the development and introduction of new laboratory techniques and to assist and train other members of the group, including students and other research staff in their application in related laboratory projects.
- Assist with managing specific pieces of activity to an agreed timeline and within a specific budget including literature reviews, data collection and analysis, report writing.
- Attend and, as appropriate, present research findings and papers at internal academic meetings and external professional conferences, and to contribute to the internal and external visibility of the department.
- Work as a conscientious and committed member of the team in order to achieve the aims of the projects and the primary care group.
- Facilitate collaboration and networking which engages and supports the activities of the Garcia-Manyes group
- Participate in educational activities as appropriate to the stage of your career.
- To be committed to your own personal career development.
- Liaise with the administrative team for the support of the research
- Contribute to publications arising from this research
- Undertake any other reasonable duties that may be relevant to the role outline.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Undergraduate degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology or related discipline
2. Expertise in Molecular Biology techniques
3. Expertise in Cell Biology techniques
4. Excellent interpersonal and team-work skills
5. Knowledge of biochemistry/biophysical characterization techniques
6. Excellent communication skills
7. Experience with protein engineering, expression in bacteria and purification
8. Experience with cell culture, transfection, generation of stable cell lines
1. Experience in protein expression in mammalian cells
2. Experience in CRISPR techniques
3. Experience in Confocal and other types of light microscopy
4. Mentorship of undergraduate and/or graduate students