Job id: 084106. Salary: £51,974 to £61,021 per annum, including London Weighting Allowance.
Posted: 07 February 2024. Closing date: 03 March 2024.
Business unit: IT. Department: Education & Research Solutions.
Contact details: Debbie Bryant. Debbie.email@example.com
Location: Guys' Campus. Category: Professional & Support Services.
King’s College London is looking for a Product Owner (PO) to help us in the development and delivery of the university’s 2029 Vision and linked Education strategy. The post holder will ensure that products meet the business needs, are delivered to the agreed standard and fit with architectural requirements.
The Product Owner is core to understanding business partner needs and requirements, focused on the “what” rather than the “how”. They will manage and prioritise the team backlog ensuring high value items are addressed first. They will develop and maintain deep customer knowledge and expertise in product features.
The PO will contribute to and communicate product vision, strategy and roadmap, aligning needs to capabilities. As well as imparting business partner and product understanding to projects and continuous improvement change initiatives.
There will be full contribution in Agile teams and participation in all ceremonies and planning events, as well as taking PO responsibility in other programme/project delivery methodologies.
This is a hybrid post - we welcome applications from candidates seeking a flexible work pattern and offer a split of time spent in the office and at home, with minimum in-office time of 5 days per month.
The role will be based in our IT department at Lavington Street on our Guys Campus but will also require working extensively with stakeholders across King’s.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract
This is a full-time post - 100% full time equivalent
• Provide IT Product Ownership for assigned products.
• Understand Business Partner needs and requirements, focused on the “what” rather than the “how”.
• Maintain a well-organized and prioritized product backlog, reflecting both short-term needs and long-term objectives, maximising value delivered by the team.
• Skilfully manage relationships with diverse stakeholders to ensure alignment of priorities and smooth communication.
• Contribute to a clear product vision aligned with the institution's strategic goals.
• Obtain a deep understanding of higher education processes, workflows, and challenges to effectively translate user needs into actionable features and enhancements.
• Works closely with the Agile Release Train (and other governance as appropriate) to define and sequence features for each release cycle, considering dependencies and aligning with academic calendars.
• Establish key performance indicators (KPIs) and metrics to measure the impact of product changes, allowing for data-driven decision-making and continuous improvement.
• Embrace change and uncertainty inherent in higher education environments, adjusting product priorities and strategies based on evolving institutional needs and market dynamics.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Experienced in Product Ownership, or similar role, that deeply understands business partner needs and function and non-functional requirements.
2. Experience in managing a product backlog and working within an agile framework.
3. Experienced in developing and maintaining expertise about product features and capabilities.
4. Experienced in communicating product vision and incorporating those into product strategy.
5. Experienced in contributing to product vision and strategy.
6. Experienced in sharing business partner and product understanding to support project and service improvement delivery.
7. Experienced in working with third parties (both internal and external) to deliver solutions.
8. Excellent stakeholder engagement with key stakeholders in the Education and Students domain on the development and use of Education and Student Products and IT Services.
9. Excellent presentation skills and the ability to confidently communicate.
10. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
11. Educated to degree standard and/or equivalent qualifications and experience.
1. An understanding of university operations, especially those based about education and student products.
2. Experience using Azure DevOps (ADO) to manage, and report on, product backlogs.
3. An understanding of data and integration technologies.
4. Project and Service Management qualifications (e.g., Agile, APM, ITIL).