Celpe-Bras is the Certificate of Proficiency in Portuguese for Foreigners, awarded by Brazil’s Ministry of Education. It is the only such certificate officially recognised by the Brazilian government.
Exam dates and time
- There will be only one examination in 2022. The Embassy of Brazil will run this exam so please check their website for more information.
Who takes the Celpe-Bras exam?
- Learners of Portuguese who wish to gauge their progress or provide proof of their level of proficiency
- Students planning to study at a higher education institution in Brazil
- Professionals who wish to have an academic certificate from their own country validated in Brazil, or who need to register with professional bodies such as the Brazilian Federal Council of Medicine
All candidates take the same exam, and are subsequently classified as having attained one of four levels of proficiency: intermediate, upper intermediate, advanced, or highly advanced.
- Oral Component 20 minutes: A face-to-face conversation about topic not known in advance
- Written component 3 hours: 4 writing tasks based on listening and reading comprehension of one video, one audio, and two texts.
Further information about the format is available on the Celpe-Bras website
Please register via the Embassy website.
The results will be available online, within three months of the exam, at INEP.gov.br.
If you have any questions about Celpe-Bras please email email@example.com