Examples of Our Research in Action
See below for a snapshot of our research in action in The Dickson Poon School of Law. You can also read case studies of some of our research, visit our Research Portal or read our news stories.
Influencing public policy:
- Professor Robert Blackburn, a Professor of Constitutional Law, is a member of the Constitution Codification Project.
- Visiting Professor Lord Phillips has been appointed to the Joint Committee on prisoners voting rights.
- Professor Leif Wenar is to sit on new Independent Policing Ethics Panel to examine issues of concern to Londoners. Find out more here.
- Dr Philippa Webb is a legal adviser to the UN Special Rapporteur on Counter-Terrorism, Ben Emmerson QC. He is undertaking an Inquiry into the civilian impact of drone strikes and other forms of targeted killing, focusing on the applicable legal framework, with a view to making recommendations to the UN General Assembly in October.
- The School hosted a Thought Leadership Forum on Climate Change. Find out more about The Role of the Courts in the Response to Climate Change on the School's news pages.
Contributions to public knowledge:
- Professor Robert Blackburn is a member of an advisory group working towards the 800th anniversary of the Magna Carta in 2015. Professor Blackburn sits on a number of subcommittees, including those pertaining to law, communication and education. The advice of these committees, comprised of academic members, relevant institutions and interested parties, will inform the way in which Magna Carta is celebrated and recognised in 2015. For more information about this, please visit the dedicated Magna Carta Anniversary website.
- Professor Robert Wintemute engaged in a live broadcast panel discussion with China Radio International on same-sex marriage. Listen to the recording here.
- The Centre of European Law held a lecture with the Houses of Parliament Outreach Service on the European Union. Watch the video of the event here.
Informing legal practice and process:
- Professor Robert Wintemute recently advised a French parliamentary committee on same-sex marriage and adoption. He was the only non French expert to do so. Read more about Professor Wintemute’s advice here.
- Dr Cian Murphy is working on a collaborative research project which will inform policy makers about EU counter-terrorism law and security. Read about Dr Murphy's research here.
- Professor Satvinder Juss recently attended Grand Chamber hearing on France’s ban on wearing the full-face veil in public at the European Court of Human Rights. Find out more on the School's news pages.
- International State Crime Initiative: Our Head of Research Professor Penny Green is the Director of ISCI. A number of our researchers are also involved with ISCI, including Dr Ian Patel.
- StopWatch: Research and action for fair and accountable policing. Professor Ben Bowling is a part of this important initiative.