A special message to Law students from Executive Dean Professor Gillian Douglas
I have had the privilege of leading The Dickson Poon School of Law for nearly four years and, as I prepare to retire at the end of December, I have been reflecting on my time at King’s as well as this most unprecedented year.
I know 2020 has been a difficult time for us all, both personally and professionally, and I am very proud of the great things that we have achieved together as well as the challenges that we have overcome.
Our students are our greatest asset and I have been tremendously pleased to hear of your successes and initiatives from across the community. I cannot possibly do justice to the great range of student achievements during 2020 notwithstanding the challenges of the pandemic. I have briefly referenced some here. Congratulations to everyone and I am sorry I cannot personally name you all.
- This year a King’s team became the UK champion in the Jessup Moot Competition for the fifth year in a row! This is an unprecedented level of success.
- Two of our PhD students (Clara Lopez-Rodriquez and Shelley Leung) secured prestigious, and highly competitive, Modern Law Review scholarships to support them during their doctorates.
- In collaboration with King's Legal Clinic, law students have worked with NGOs on legal interventions to protect indigenous communities and the environment.
- Our students have won Civic Challenge funding for their enterprises designed to tackle issues in the local community.
- Undergraduate student Charlotte Knierim has been mentoring local young people online during the pandemic.
Witnessing your brilliance, motivation, and determination to succeed has been a humbling and deeply gratifying aspect of my role as Executive Dean.
My greatest wish is that we inspire you to think deeply about your studies and the contribution you would like to make to society through your career and throughout your lives. I hope we have done that during my tenure and that this inspiration continues in the years to come.
I have been fortunate to have fantastic colleagues at King’s and I know they will continue to inspire great things in our students. Professor Alex Turk, who many of you know, will be Interim Dean from January 2021. I am certain that I am leaving the School in very safe hands.
I wish you all the best for what I am sure is a bright future. Thank you for being such an integral part of our community and Season’s Greetings.
Professor Gillian Douglas LLD, FBA, FLSW, FAcSS | Executive Dean
The Dickson Poon School of Law
Somerset House East Wing
King's College London
Strand | LONDON | WC2R 2LS