Show/hide main menu


Current Maughan Library exhibition

Maughan Library exhibition

Details of our Autumn 2019 exhibition, to be held in the Weston Room of the Maughan LIbrary, will be available here shortly.


Image of the Weston Room in the Maughan Library

The Weston Room incorporates many features from the former Chapel of the Masters of the Rolls, including three 16th and 17th century funeral monuments.

One of these is a terracotta figure of Dr Yonge (Master of the Rolls and Dean of York, who died in 1516)  which was sculpted by Pietro Torrigiano (1472-1528) who also created Henry VII’s tomb in Westminster Abbey and is said to have broken Michelangelo's nose in a tavern brawl.

There are also memorials to Richard Alington (who died in 1561, a brother-in-law of a Master) and Lord Bruce of Kinloss, a Master who died in 1616.

From 1902 until 1986 the rebuilt Chapel, now deconsecrated, provided a Museum for the Public Record Office. Stained-glass windows showing the armorial bearings of some of the 17th century Masters had been preserved, and more were added in 1899.

Restoration work for King's College London has revealed a fine mosaic flooring, probably laid in 1898.

A memorial to former staff members of the Public Record Office who died in the First World War is also sited in the room.

Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions  Privacy policy  Accessibility  Modern slavery statement  Contact us

© 2019 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454