Laptop loans for students
Libraries & Collections has invested in state-of-the-art self-service facilities for student loan laptops in most of our libraries. The system is very user-friendly, the laptop cabinets function along the same lines as our new and improved book lending and return kiosks – staff are of course on hand to lend any assistance needed, so please ask.
- are available in each library for student use only
- can be borrowed for up to 24 hours
- may be taken out of the library*
* Note: If you intend to take a loan laptop off campus you will need to log on before taking off campus, otherwise you won't be able to use the laptop.
||Number of laptops
|Franklin Wilkins Library
|Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPPN) Library
|The Maughan Library
|New Hunt's House Library
|St Thomas' House Library
|Weston Education Centre Library
Fines for late returns are charged at a rate of £5 per hour or part of an hour.
Laptops cannot be renewed remotely and have to be taken back to the library in order to borrow them again.
Deep Freeze software is installed on the laptops which will erase any files saved to the hard drive upon shutdown of the laptop: files will not be retrievable.
Please go to the Start menu and open the King’s RemoteApp to access file storage and software, or save your files to a USB stick.
Laptop loan declaration
Each time you borrow a laptop, you will be asked to agree to the following:
- I will return the laptop by the due time/date to the library from which it was borrowed, and if necessary report any damage to the Library Information Point.
- I understand that fines are payable for the late return of the laptop at a rate of £5 per hour, or part thereof.
- I understand that this laptop is for my personal use only, and I will not borrow it on behalf of a friend or colleague, or use it for work which is not educational or personal in nature.
- I will only save files to my personal filestore or to a removable memory device, and understand that any files saved elsewhere on the laptop will be erased automatically when the laptop is shutdown or re-booted.
- I understand that no software can be downloaded onto this laptop.
- The College and Libraries & Collections are not responsible for any damage to the borrower’s data storage device(s), loss of data caused by software, hardware, battery failure or computer viruses.
- I understand that if the laptop is lost, stolen or damaged in my care, I am liable to pay replacement costs in the region of £650 to £700.
- I understand that failure to pay this invoice will result in suspension of library services and notification sent to my Head of School.