Professor Janice Rymer
MD, FRCOG, FRANZCOG, FHEA
Dean of Student Affairs, Professor of Gynaecology
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7188 3739
Fax: +44(0)20 188 3737
Location: Sherman Education Centre, 4th Floor Southwark Wing, Guy’s Hospital
Areas of responsibility
- Dean of Student Affairs
- Chairman of Senior Clinical Advisers Committee
- Professor of Gynaecology (Division of Women’s Health)
Professor Rymer qualified with MBCHB in 1981 from the University of Auckland and commenced her specialist training in New Zealand. She moved to the UK in 1987 and became a member of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG) in 1987 and fellow of The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RANZCOG) in 1990. She was awarded her MD thesis from the University of Auckland in 1994 and was made fellow of the RCOG in 2005. She was made Professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at KCL in 2005 and Dean of Undergraduate Medicine in 2010.
Her areas of special interest are Minimal Access Surgery, Ovarian Failure, Medical Education and Female Genital Mutilation. She is an educational supervisor for specialist trainees and a preceptor for specialist advanced training modules in minimal access surgery, menopause and education. She has published over 100 peer review papers and 15 textbooks.
Other extramural positions include: Member of the RCOG Council 1997-2003 and 2010- ; Member of the British Menopause Society Council 1986-2002 and 2010- ; she is currently on the General Medical Council team for assessing new Medical Schools and sits on many RCOG committees (Council, Education, and International).
Recent educational publications (from 2005)
- Hollingworth A, Rymer J (2005). OSCE Revision for the MRCOG. Arnold Publishers. ISBN 0340814950.
- O’Reilly B, Bottomley C, Rymer J (2005). Pocket Book of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Elsevier. ISBN 0702028134.
- Rymer J, Fish A (2005). Gynaecology in Focus. Elsevier. ISBN 9780443074370.
- Bottomley C, Rymer J (2008). 100 Cases in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Series editor P John Rees. Hodder Arnold. ISBN 9780340947449.
- Rymer J, Ahmed H (2008). OSCEs, EMQs and BOFs in Obstetrics and Gynaecology (2nd Edition). Elsevier Publishers. ISBN 9780443103193.
- Rymer J, Smith N (2009). Obstetrics and Gynaecology for Finals, DRCOG and MRCOG. Oxford: Radcliffe. ISBN 9781846190735.
- Mahesan N, Choudhury SM, Rymer J (2012). Get Ahead! The Situational Judgement Test. Hodder Arnold. ISBN 9781444176605.
- RymerJ (2007). Teaching Intimate examinations to Medical Students of the Future. In K. Hellard (Ed.) Yearbook of obstetrics and Gynaecology, Vol 12. RCOG Press. ISBN 9781904752233.
- Bewley S, Rymer J. 2005). Who should be the guardians of women’s “sacred space”? American Journal of Obstetricians and Gynaecology, 192, 655-656.
- Rosenthal J, Rymer J, Jones R, Haldane S, Cohen S, Bartholomew J (2005). Chaperones for intimate examinations: cross sectional survey of attitudes and practices of general practitioners. BMJ 330(7485), 234-5.
- Rymer J, Durbaba S, Rosenthal J, Jones RH (2007). Use of chaperones by obstetricians and gynaecologists: A cross-sectional survey. Journal of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists, 27, 8-11.
Recent gynaecology publications (from 2010)
- Cartwright B, Grace J, Rymer J (2010) A clinical dilemma: The potential use of egg freezing to preserve fertility in a young patient at risk of developing premature ovarian failure. Menopause International, 16 (2), 65-67.
- Cartwright B, Robinson J, Rymer J (2010) Treatment of premature ovarian failure trial: Description of an ongoing clinical trial. Menopause International, 16, 18-22.
- Kontos M, Agbaji OF, Rymer J, Fentiman IS (2010). What can be done about hot flushes after treatment for breast cancer? Climateric, 13, 4-21.
- Panay N, Al-Azzawi F, Bouchard C, Davis SR, Eden J, Lodhi I, Rees M, Rodenberg CA, Rymer J, Schwenkhagen A, Sturdee DW (2010). Testosterone treatment of HSDD in naturally menopausal women: the ADORE study. Climateric, 13, 121-131.
- Craig MC, Brammer M, Maki PM, Fletcher PC, Daly EM, Rymer J, Giampietro V, Picchioni M, Stahl D, Murphy DG (2010). The interactive effect of acute ovarian suppression and the cholinergic system on visuospatial working memory in young women. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 35 (7), 987-1000.
- Rymer J, Wylie K, Barnes T, Mander T, Buckler H, Dean J (2010). Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder (HSDD).The Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, 12, 237-243.
- Rajamanohara R, Robinson J, Rymer J, Patel R, Fogelman I, Blake GM (2011). The effect of weight and weight-change on the long-term precision of spine and hip DXI measurements. Osteoporosis International, 22 (5), 1503-12.
- Rymer J, Warren R, Whitten M, Saigal P (2011). The Foundation Years in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. The Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, 13 (1), 49-53.
- Swamy S, Rymer J (2011). Hysterectomy and Menopause. The Menopause Exchange.
- Chipwete S, Jethava Y, Rymer J (2011). A case of immune thrombocytopenic purpura secondary to endometrioses causing a pelvic haematoma. BMJ Case reports.
- Cartwright B, Holloway D, Grace J, Robinson J, Rymer J (2012). A service evaluation of women attending the menopause/premature ovarian failure clinic of a tertiary referral centre. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 32 (4), 357-361.
- McLaren JS, Morris E, Rymer J (2012). Gonadotrophin receptor hormone analogues in combination with add-back therapy: an update. Menopause International, 18 (2), 68-72.
- Andersson SH, Rymer J, Joyce DW, Momoh C, Gayle CM (2012). Sexual quality of life in women who have undergone Female Genital Mutilation: a case-control study. BJOG, 119 (13), 1608-11.
- Ovarian Failure
- Genital Mutilation
- Teaching if Intimate Examinations
- Work based assessment for students
- Feedback and Assessment
Research Gateway profile