The Modern Language Centre supports the studies of King’s postgraduate students by offering credit-bearing modules as well as non credit-bearing modules (PG-only) and discounted Evening & Saturday Language Courses.
Learning a language as a postgraduate student will encourage you to develop the ways in which you learn and retain information. Our postgraduate-only courses focus on reading and speaking skills and revolve around the student's own research.
As a postgraduate student, there are three ways you can study a language module or course with the MLC, you are only eligible for one free module or course:
- Language Module (as part of your degree, no additional costs apply*).
- Language Module (outside of your degree, no additional costs apply*).
- PG-only Course (non credit-bearing, no additional costs apply*).
Language modules are assessed (written and oral exam) and count for credit towards your overall degree programme.
||British Sign Language
Postgraduate-only language modules
Postgraduate-only modules are non-assessed. Only beginner and intermediary levels are offered.
To find out more about our language modules, please visit our intranet site.
Students are required to pay a fee when taking more than one Language Module or PG-only course.
- King’s PG students studying one Language Module or PG-only Course: FREE
- King’s PG students wishing to do a PG-only course or Language Module in addition to their free one: £ 500
- UoL students: £ 850
- External candidates: £ 1,200
Support for students
The MLC strives to ensure all students studying a language have a positive experience at King’s as we understand that postgraduate studies can be demanding. We ensure support is widely available to all MLC PG students. The Language Resources Centre offers a wide range of language learning materials, as well as free speaking practice with a native speaker to improve oral skills. Visit the Language Resources Centre