The Modern Language Centre supports the studies of King’s postgraduate students by offering credit-bearing modules as well as non credit-bearing modules (PG-only) and discounted Evening & Saturday Language Courses.
Learning a language as a postgraduate student will encourage you to develop the ways in which you learn and retain information. Our postgraduate-only courses focus on reading and speaking skills and revolve around the student's own research.
As a postgraduate student, there are three ways you can study a language module or course with the MLC, you are only eligible for one free module or course:
- Language Module (as part of your degree, no additional costs apply*).
- Language Module (outside of your degree, no additional costs apply*).
- PG-only Course (non credit-bearing, no additional costs apply*).
Language modules are assessed (written and oral exam) and count for credit towards your overall degree programme.
||British Sign Language
Postgraduate-only language modules
Postgraduate-only modules are non-assessed, you will receive a certificate upon completion of the course. Only beginner and intermediary levels are offered.
To find out more about our language modules, please visit our intranet site.
Students are required to pay a fee when taking more than one Language Module or PG-only course.
- King’s PG students studying one Language Module or PG-only Course: FREE
- King’s PG students wishing to do a PG-only course or Language Module in addition to their free one: £ 500
- UoL students: £ 850
- External candidates: £ 1,200
Support for students
The MLC strives to ensure all students studying a language have a positive experience at King’s as we understand that postgraduate studies can be demanding. We ensure support is widely available to all MLC PG students. The Language Resources Centre offers a wide range of language learning materials, as well as free speaking practice with a native speaker to improve oral skills. Visit the Language Resources Centre