Language Resources Centre
The Language Resources Centre (LRC) provides a friendly environment for all King's students and staff wishing to engage in language learning.
We offer a wide variety of resources, workshops, events and speaking practice as well as multilingual learning advisors who are always on hand to help you make the most of the facilities.
You can find us in room K-1.07.2, Level -1, King's Building, Strand Campus - we look forward to welcoming you to the LRC.
Speaking Practice will re-open again soon.
The Modern Language Centre provides FREE speaking practice with a native speaker, for MLC students and King's students/staff. Our volunteers come from the richly diverse King's community and we are in the process of setting up the available slots with our volunteers, as well as training our new volunteers who will join us this semester. Please check back as speaking practice will re-open again soon.
About Speaking Practice
- Why should you do this? It's a great way to practice your speaking skills in a friendly and informal setting.
- How do the sessions work? Each session lasts for 30 minutes. You will be guided by one of our friendly and welcoming native speaker volunteers in an informal conversation. The student should arrive prepared with a topic that they would like to discuss; e.g. something covered in class or something else of personal interest. Please sign in at the LRC reception on arrival.
- Where is speaking practice held? All sessions take place in the Language Resources Centre; Room K-1.07.2 at the Strand Campus.
- What languages are available? Please check the booking system for available languages. Note that the languages we offer depend on available volunteers each term.
- When are the sessions? Please view the available slots by clicking on the booking link above. Note that the schedule is dependant on our volunteers' availability. If you cannot find a time that suits you, please contact us so that we can make a note of any future preferences.
- How do I book? You will be able to book again in the new year.
- How can I view or cancel my bookings? You can view your current bookings via the booking system, or cancel them yourself up to 1 day in advance. Should you need to cancel on the day of your appointment, please email or call 020 7848 1006.
- Booking rules: Please limit your bookings to 1 session per week, due to the high demand. You can make bookings up to a month in advance.
- No shows/late cancellations: Please remember that the volunteers are giving up their free time to help our students. If you need to make a last minute cancellation, please let us know as soon as possible via phone or email. No shows may result in future booking restrictions.
- Who do I contact if I have questions? If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7848 1006
Resources & Facilities available in the LRC
The LRC provides a number of resources and support services for students including:
Laptops available to borrow by students for use in the LRC
Foreign language textbooks, grammar books, dictionaries, readers, comic books and games
Daily and weekly newspapers and magazines
Feature films and documentaries on DVD
A selection of language learning audio CDs
Friendly and welcoming staff to advise on how to make the most efficient use of the open learning facilities
Comfortable reading area
Workshops & Events
The Modern Language Centre runs a variety of different cultural and language workshops during the academic year. These workshops provide cultural insights into our languages and deliver exciting learnings on cultures from all over the world.
Please visit and bookmark our events page to see our full event and workshop schedule. You can also follow us on Facebook to keep up to date with events.
LRC Opening hours
Opening Hours - outside term time:
- Monday to Friday 10.00am - 18.00pm
Opening hours during term time:
- Monday to Thursday 10.00am - 20.00pm (please note our new opening hours)
- Friday 10.00am - 18.00pm
- Saturday 10.00am - 16.00pm
- Thursday 10 January 2019, Closed all day (AULC Conference)
Friday 11 January 2019, Closed all day (AULC Conference)
- Monday 14 January 2019, closed 13:00 - 14:00pm (LRC staff meeting)
Get in touch
Contact us via email at email@example.com
if you have any questions about the Language Resources Centre, or any of our student services.