Skip to main content
KBS_Icon_questionmark link-ico

Your first weeks


Start your academic programme

Access KEATS

King's primary web-based online learning environment is KEATS (King's E-learning and Teaching Service). It is accessible from the College and externally, via Student Records or the direct link to KEATS. You will find teaching materials for all your modules on KEATS. It is your responsibility to make sure you have access to the correct modules and that you check KEATS regularly for new material.

Locate your Programme Timetable

Timetables will be available from 6th September 2019. If you complete your enrolment after the 6th September, please be aware it may take up to 48 hours for your timetable to become available once you have completed your enrolment.


Resources for New Students

Once you've settled in at university, you may want to find out more about some of the resources available to you, as well as discounts you may be eligible for.

Full-time students can apply for an 18+ TfL oyster card providing a third off travel in London. Students must apply online on the TfL website. Applicants will require a digital photograph and a credit/debit card. Applicants can check their eligibility with the Student Funding Office or on the TfL website; the TfL website also includes important information about how and when applications will be validated.

The Student Funding Office approves all Student Oyster Photo cards (i.e. confirms that the student is registered as full-time for TfL), and can check what stage the application is at. Students can contact the Student Funding Office if they experience any problem with their oyster card.

When you make your Oyster Card application, please ensure that you select King’s College London as the institution:

King’s College London – James Clerk Maxwell Building (institution code 0403)

Applications cannot be approved until the first day of term, so the Student Funding Office will begin approving them from then onwards.

If you are between 16 and 25 years old, or a full-time student over 25 you can purchase a 16-25 Railcard which will save you 1/3 on rail fares throughout the UK for either a year or three years.

You can either apply online or pick up a hard copy form from any train station or at the Student Services desk at any Campus.

If you are over 25 and a full-time student applying for the railcard, then you will need the University to verify this. Take the form to any Student Services desk along with your student ID card and they will sign and stamp this for you. If you're using the hard copy form, then you'll need to bring a passport photo to Student Services as well.

Apply online for a 16-25 railcard

Our Student Advice Team have dedicated Money Advisors to help with any queries relating to money and finance. They can also provide advice on banking, including different types of accounts and the options available to EU and International Students in the UK.

Student Advice on Banking

If you are registered on a full-time course of 24 weeks or more, you can be exempt from having to pay council tax. Students in King's Residences are automatically exempt from paying council tax, but if you don't live in King's Residences, then you will have to provide a confirmation of study letter to your local Council.

Click here for more information about council tax exemption.

Once you have fully enrolled in person by collecting your ID card, you need to register with King’s CareerConnect. King’s CareerConnect is your portal for all things careers and employability: from part-time jobs, internships, career appointments and events.

Go to, select "Student login" and login with your k number and the password you set for yourself. If you are not able to login you are not fully enrolled on the system. The system can sometimes take a day to update.

Tip: Once you’re in, be sure to sign up to our newsletters to receive personalised alerts about upcoming events and job opportunities that match your preferences.

Go to the King's CareerConnect registration page

Find answers to common questions and read important information about being a student at King's on the Student Services Online portal. You can also log-in and raise an enquiry to receive individualised support.

Access Student Services Online

King’s Sport caters to all levels of experience and all types of personal goals. Membership will get you access to all three of our campus gyms located at Strand, London Bridge and Waterloo. This includes over 200 weekly studio classes and free training programmes.

New students can take advantage of a limited offer of £170 for a year of gym membership. Offer valid from 5th September.

Find out more about gym membership with King's Sport

King’s Foods operates all of the restaurants and cafes across all KCL campuses. These outlets offer a range of affordable drinks, sandwiches, snacks, hot meals and desserts. King’s Food accommodates dietary requirements such as vegetarian, gluten free, Halal, and vegan. If you have an questions please ask a member of staff.

When you pay using your Student ID you can earn cash-points to redeem on future purchases. In order to pay with your Student ID you will need to do the following:

1. Go to uPay (see link below) or download from the app store.

2. Register for an account.

3. Enter affiliate ID: 'Kingslondon'.

4. Verify and top-up.

5. Tap the terminal at any King's Food till to pay.

Go to the uPay site

King's students can access a range of Financial Education resources including a funding calculator and budget planner from You can sign up with the code NEWTOKINGS before you start and with your King's email address once you have completed enrollment.

Visit Blackbullion and plan your budget

Personalised Assessment Arrangements (PAA) are in place to provide an environment that gives all students a level opportunity for assessment. If you have a diagnosed Specific Learning Difficulty or a medical condition, this also includes mental health conditions, that may affect your performance in written exams, you can apply for PAA via your Student Records.

All PAA applicants are required to provide supporting evidence confirming their Specific Learning Difficulty or medical condition and recommendations for written examinations.

There are deadlines to apply for each examination period. For more information about how to apply and the deadlines, please visit the Examinations webpages below.

Personalised Assessment Arrangements information

Whilst you are studying with us we want you to enjoy your time and stay healthy and safe. The following page links provide you with information on how to stay safe and healthy whilst you are living and studying in London. Please make sure that you read each of them so that you know how to look after yourself and your friends.

Read about Health & Safety at King's

Meet your personal tutor

All Undergraduate and Postgraduate Taught students are allocated a Personal Tutor from within their Department or Faculty. Postgraduate Research students will have a research supervisor.

A personal tutor is an academic member of staff who will take an active interest in a student's academic progress and university experience, and is concerned for a student's general welfare. They are your single point of contact to support you during your time at King's and can guide you in making the most of the services that the university has to offer.

You can speak to your personal tutor about anything that impacts your university journey.

Details of who your personal tutor is will be available on Student Records. Personal tutors will contact their tutees over the King's network; you should check your King's email regularly for communication from them. Within the first few weeks of starting at King's you should meet with your personal tutor. At this initial meeting they will tell you about the role of the personal tutor and give you information about how you can make contact with him or her if you need to.

personal tutor feature

Register with a GP

Have you had your Meningitis ACWY vaccine and at least 2 doses of MMR vaccine in your lifetime? If not, make sure you visit your doctor as soon as possible to arrange this.

If you are moving to the UK for the first time and have had this vaccination in your home country before you arrive here, make sure you bring a record of this with you so it can be added to your UK notes once you register with a UK doctor (GP).

If you're new to London, we strongly advise that you register with a Doctor as soon as you can once you have arrived so that you can access healthcare as quickly as possible if you become ill or injured.

Current students of the University can use the links below to find out more about registering at the King's College NHS Health Centre.