The UK Government has announced a new national lockdown for England from 5 January 2021.
- Term commenced on Friday 15 January 2021 with students enrolled on a limited number of courses (outlined here) accessing in-person teaching from this date in line with government guidance and safety measures.
- Teaching for all other courses will be online only until at least the middle of February.
- Our intention remains to return to a blend of on-campus and online teaching for all students when we are able to and in line with further Government guidance.
- Updated information is available on our Student Services Online pages
Our Employer Engagement teams continue to work remotely through winter and spring 2021 and visitor access to King's campuses is prohibited until at least the end of the national lockdown (exact date to be kept under review).
We ask for your understanding as we continue to adapt and develop our support and provision in the coming months.
Centrally coordinated advice (www.kcl.ac.uk/coronavirus) based on the latest guidance from the UK government and other authorities is available to support all stakeholders, including students, staff, alumni, employer and industry partners at this time.
We realise that for many of our employer and industry partners, new restrictions and changes will force challenging conversations about your resourcing and recruitment plans - and that this will obviously adapt the level and form of engagement with us into 2021.
Our team are ready to support you and your organisation determine what will be both achievable and meet your needs - whether posting roles, constructing virtual activity, running online assessment or simply to provide advice and consult on your strategy for how best to manage these continued difficult times.– Andrew Wright, Head of Employer Engagement
2020-21 Academic Year
- King's is open and our plans are shaped so we can be ready to teach despite anticipated safe-distancing and international travel measures.
- We will offer a combination of on-campus teaching and learning with online delivery at least to April 2021, to ensure that our students can access the high-quality King’s education that is highly respected by employers around the globe, as well as an enriching university experience.
Employer Relations & Development
- Our teams continue to maintain communications and engagement with our many employer, industry and other partners in the UK and internationally.
- Employers can arrange virtual meetings with us over Microsoft Teams or your own platforms, and our Advisers will be in touch to confirm scheduling.
- Our email, website and platforms remain active and you can continue to reach us via these means - we will reply as quickly as we are able to do so.
- International mobility is suspended to at least April 2021, meaning that we will be unable to undertake any physical travel or planned overseas events until that time - options to maintain contact with us from overseas are covered in more depth on our website.
Careers Events & Recruitment Services
- We offer a wide range of virtual opportunities to continue engagement, including our King's CareerConnect vacancy board, targeted emails and social media packages.
- Our virtual 'offer' for employers wishing to engage with our students in spring 2021 is now published and booking is now open, with a hope to introduce more physical activity once again from early summer 2021 (dependent upon circumstances).
- Employers wishing to promote their own virtual events can promote these for free or opt to conduct a virtual presentation through our Microsoft Teams or Adobe Connect platforms.
- Employers hosting physical activity off-campus can promote this to our students, provided you can confirm it will take place in a COVID-secure environment, complying with relevant restrictions and legislation in the territory it will take place.
Internships & Year-in-Industry Placements
To protect students' safety and well-being, King’s College London has formally suspended international mobility for taught students until at least April 2021.
No taught students will be permitted or sanctioned to undertake opportunities internationally which are an integrated or compulsory element of their assessment or require King's to sanction independently sourced provision.
- Managed Co-curricular Internships
- Our refreshed portfolio of co-curricular meaningful work experience supporting confidence-building and career decision-making, will remain virtual until further notice
- Managed Curricular Internships
- We are liaising with faculty on any required adaptations to our Accredited Internship Programme throughout autumn, supporting hosts and employers to recruit our students
- Year-in-industry Placements (Natural & Mathematical Sciences/King's Business School)
- Students on placement are following advice from their host organisations and are in regular contact with teams at King's College London
- We anticipate students due to undertake a year-in-industry placement from summer 2021 will be able to proceed as expected
- We continue to work closely with students and faculty colleagues to determine alternative options and arrangements where necessary
- Independently Sourced Internships
- Following updated UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office advice, students are advised against independently formulating any plans for internships or placements overseas at this time
- King's is unable to sign any required documentation or Host Agreements for internships or work experience which require students to physically travel internationally from their current location or outwardly from the UK, and an adjusted workflow remains in place to triage these until further notice
- It is incumbent upon students to review this workflow on our internal site before commencing with the completion of an Agreement with their respective employer, and King's reserves the right not to sign this documentation in line with the decision above
- Students who are undertaking their own internship or experience which does not require paperwork from King's to proceed should follow the advice of their host employer and that of their state/national government in relation to measures currently in place to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic, being aware that these may change at any point before or during their opportunity
Thank you for your understanding at this time. If you have questions or concerns about engagement, please get in touch with us.