Show/hide main menu

Graduate Research Students

Travel and Conferences (PGR)

From time to time, you and your supervisor may feel that you would benefit from attending a conference or summer school in your area of research. Research students in receipt of funding from the Department’s EPSRC or STFC Doctoral Training Accounts may have funds available to them for this purpose – please check your offer letter or contact the Postgraduate Programme Officer to see if this applies to you. Departmental Conference Support may also be available; the application form will be posted in the Mathematics PhD KEATS pages.

Travel insurance

If you will be going on any trips abroad as part of your studies, such as conferences etc., you can apply for travel insurance through the College. Please note that Research Students are not automatically covered. You will need to complete an application form for this that will need to be signed by the Head of the Department. The completed form should be returned to the Postgraduate Programme Administrator who will then forward it on. The application form is located here: College Travel Insurance web page

Travel arrangements

The College is bound to use an authorised agency called Key Travel (unless the fare can be purchased elsewhere for 25% less than that quoted, in which case you would pay the cost  and claim back the expense).

Key Travel’s details: 

Tel. 020 7843 9600

Fax: 020 7843 9691

Address: 1st Floor, 28-32 Britannia Street, London WC1X 9JF

You should contact them to arrange travel details, at which time you will be issued with a reference number either by fax or email. This detail should then be passed to the Departmental Coordinator, together with your supervisor’s authorisation and the account number to which the cost is to be charged. These details are then handed to the Departmental Coordinator who will purchase the ticket(s) by sending the company an Official Purchase Order Form. You will then be issued with your tickets which in some cases are electronic.

For further information and the online booking details, see the College's Travel & Hotels internal pages.

Claiming for Expenses

Research students need to keep all receipts for expenses claims. You should complete an internal claim form which can be obtained from the Departmental Office and attach copies of the receipts. The claim form must be authorised by your supervisor with an indication as to which account the cost is to be charged. This should then be passed to the Postgraduate Programme Officer who will complete the expenses claim process.



13 August 2018
Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions  Privacy policy  Accessibility  Modern slavery statement  Contact us

© 2019 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454