Dr Latha Velayudhan is a Senior Clinical Lecturer and joined the Department of Old Age Psychiatry at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPPN), Kings College London (KCL). Latha is also a Consultant Old Age Psychiatrist at the South London &Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust (SLaM) and leads the Lewisham Memory Service.
Latha is a clinician-academic with research interests in dementia, specifically Alzheimer’s disease (AD). Her main research work includes identification of biomarkers (clinical, blood and neuroimaging) for AD, young onset dementia, investigating risk factors for cognitive impairment and conducting clinical trials, currently using cannabinoid medications for neuropsychiatric symptoms in Alzheimer’s and Parkinson's disease, with the objective of translating the understanding and outcomes into routine clinical practice. Her clinical research interest also includes studying smell identification dysfunction in Alzheimer's dementia. With the aim to improve post-diagnostic care and support, she has led the design and development of mobile applications for people with dementia and carers including Young Onset Dementia (YOD) app which is available for free download from Apple and Google Play Store.
Latha completed MBBS at the Mysore Medical College, India and then undertook psychiatric training, obtaining a DPM (Psychiatry) and Diplomate of National Board (Psychiatry) at the National Institute of Mental Health & Neurosciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore, India. After coming to the UK in 2003, she completed higher specialist training at the SLaM, did MRC Preparatory Clinician Scientist Fellowship at the MRC Centre for Neurodegeneration and completed MD (Res) at the IoPPN, Kings College London. She then worked as Senior Clinical Research Fellow and consultant psychiatrist at the University of Leicester and Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust (LPT), returning to KCL in 2017.
- Highly Commended award from the National Care Coordination Association Good Practice Awards for the Young Onset Dementia Mobile Application (YOD app) for the category “Innovation to Support Service Development”, 2016, Ellesmere Port, UK.
- Highly Commended Excellent Idea/ Innovation Award for the YOD app at the Celebrating Excellence Awards 2016, LPT, UK.
- Lacey French Travel Award to attend and present at International Conference of Alzheimer’s Disease (ICAD) 2011, Paris, France.
- Travel Fellowship awarded by the ICAD to attend and present at ICAD 2010 Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
- Travel award from Alzheimer’s Research Trust 2010.
- Denis Hill Prize 2008 proxime accessit, Institute of Psychiatry, KCL.
- MRC Preparatory Clinician Scientist Fellowship 2007.
- Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias
- Blood based biomarkers
- Clinical trials
- Mild cognitive impairment
- Neuropsychiatric symptoms
- Department of Old Age Psychiatry
- Mental Health for Older Adults & Dementia CAG
- I teach medical students, MRCPsych students and lecture for MSc courses (Clinical Neuropsychiatry and Psychiatric Research) on topics related to dementia.
- I interview and examine medical students at the GKT School of Medicine.
- I supervise PhD students, BSc and MSc dissertations.
Velayudhan, L., Baillon, S., Daby, L., Suntharamoorthy, P., Kablan, A., Tromans, S. & Lindesay, J., 4 Jul 2020, In : Journal Of The American Medical Directors Association. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2020.05.016
Martin, E. & Velayudhan, L., 14 Apr 2020, In : Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders. p. 1-13 13 p. Research output: Contribution to journal - Review article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1159/000507078
Baillon, S., Gasper, A., Wilson-Morkeh, F., Pritchard, M., Jesu, A. & Velayudhan, L., 1 Nov 2019, In : American Journal of Alzheimer's Disease & Other Dementias. 34, 7-8, p. 433-438 6 p. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1177/1533317519841191
Yates, T., Edwardson, C. L., Celis-Morales, C., Biddle, S. J. H., Bodicoat, D., Davies, M. J., Esliger, D., Henson, J., Kazi, A., Khunti, K., Sattar, N., Sinclair, A. J., Rowlands, A., Velayudhan, L., Zaccardi, F. & Gill, J. M. R., 1 Jan 2020, In : Journals of Gerontology Series. A, Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences. 75, 1, p. 139-146 8 p. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/gly252
Velayudhan, L., Wilson-Morkeh, F., Penney, E., Jesu, A. J. M., Baillon, S. & Brugha, T., 15 Oct 2018, In : International Psychogeriatrics. p. 1-6 6 p. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1017/S1041610218001503
Mueller, C., Rajkumar, A. P., Wan, Y. M., Velayudhan, L., ffytche, D., Chaudhuri, K. R. & Aarsland, D., Jul 2018, In : CNS Drugs. 32, 7, p. 621-635 15 p. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1007/s40263-018-0540-6
Velayudhan, L., Baillon, S., Urbaskova, G., McCulloch, L., Tromans, S., Storey, M., Lindesay, J. & Bhattacharyya, S., 2018, In : Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders Extra. 8, 1, p. 190-198 9 p. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1159/000488237
Velayudhan, L., 2012, In : JOURNAL OF ALZHEIMERS DISEASE. p. 369-75 Research output: Contribution to journal - Article
Velayudhan, L., Dec 2015, In : Current Opinion in Psychiatry. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article
Velayudhan, L., Ffytche, D., Ballard, C. & Aarsland, D., Sep 2017, In : CURRENT NEUROLOGY AND NEUROSCIENCE REPORTS. 17, 9, p. 68 Research output: Contribution to journal - Review article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11910-017-0778-2