Raphael D. Marcus is a Visiting Research Fellow in the Department of War Studies at King's College London, where he received his PhD. He is also affiliated with the College's Insurgency Research Group, where his research interests include Middle East security issues, terrorism, military affairs, and organizational learning. He is currently working as an intelligence and counterterrorism analyst at a law enforcement agency.
He is the author of Israel’s Long War with Hezbollah: Military Innovation and Adaptation Under Fire published by Georgetown University Press in 2018. This book is the first complete military history of the Israel-Hezbollah conflict, and analyzes ongoing processes of strategic and operational innovation and adaptation by both sides throughout the guerrilla conflict.
Areas of Expertise
- Middle East Security and Politics
- Insurgency and Counterinsurgency
- The Arab-Israeli Conflict
- Organizational Learning
- Military Affairs
- Terrorism and Counterterrorism
Raphael D. Marcus, Israel’s Long War with Hezbollah: Military Innovation and Adaptation Under Fire, Washington DC: Georgetown University Press, 2018.
- Raphael D. Marcus, “Hizbullah” in Andrew Silke (ed.), Routledge Handbook of Terrorism and Counterterrorism, London: Routledge, 2018
- Raphael D. Marcus, “Lone Wolf Terrorism” in Scott Romaniuk, Clarence Martin, and Scott Catino (eds.) Palgrave Handbook of Homeland Security.Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave-Macmillan, 2018 (in progress)
- Raphael D. Marcus, “‘Learning Under Fire’: Israel’s Improvised Military Adaptation to Hamas Tunnel Warfare” Journal of Strategic Studies (Apr. 2017), 1-27.
- Raphael D. Marcus, “The Israeli Revolution in Military Affairs and the Road to the 2006 Lebanon War” in Jeffrey Collins and Andrew Futter (eds.) Reassessing the Revolution in Military Affairs: Transformation, Evolution, and Lessons Learnt.Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave-Macmillan, 2015, 92-111. [Link]
- Raphael D. Marcus, “Military Innovation and Tactical Adaptation in the Israel-Hizballah Conflict: The Institutionalization of Lesson-Learning in the IDF” Journal of Strategic Studies38, no. 4 (Aug. 2014), 500-528.
- Raphael D. Marcus, “On Flexibility: Recovering from Technological and Doctrinal Surprise on the Battlefield, by Meir Finkel” (Book Review), Parameters: Journal of the US Army War College44, no. 1 (Spring 2014), 146-148.
- “Are Israel and Hizbollah on the Brink of War?” The Telegraph (UK), January 20, 2015.
- “Are Israel and Hizbollah Prepared for War?” The Telegraph (UK), January 29, 2015.
- “How Will Hizbollah Respond to the Assassination of one of its Commanders in Syria?” The Telegraph (UK), December 22, 2015.