Mendy is a health economist and a qualified medical doctor. He has worked in health policy and medical positions including as a health economist at the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). Mendy joined the Cicely Saunders Institute as a Research Training Fellow in 2012 and over the years, having completed his PhD at King’s College, has progressively developed into his current role as a lecturer and deputy director of the WHO collaborating centre for palliative care. Mendy qualified in medicine from the Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria, followed by a master’s degree in public health (health economics stream) at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine in 2010.
Mendy lectures on the MSc in Palliative Care. The subjects he teaches include health economics, advanced epidemiology, statistics and research methods, and service delivery. He also teaches on the Bosch funded European Academy of Palliative Care leadership course at the CSI.
Mendy has an extensive research programme encompassing: measuring quality of life and outcomes; measuring and valuing QALYs (quality adjusted life years); measuring and valuing costs; conducting both trial and model based economic evaluations; epidemiology; developing and evaluating complex palliative care interventions (especially new services in non-cancer conditions); and developing outcome measures. He developed the first palliative-care specific preference-based measure (POS-E) for deriving QALYs for use in economic evaluations of palliative care interventions. Before joining the institute, Mendy was a health economist at the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). Mendy has extensive HTA experience, and he has contributed to the development of national clinical guidelines for a variety of disease groups including kidney disease and heart failure.
Selected Peer-reviewed publications
- Dzingina M, Higginson IJ, McCrone P, Murtagh FEM. Development of a Patient-Reported Palliative Care-Specific Health Classification System: The POS-E. The Patient - Patient-Centered Outcomes Research. 2017:1-13. doi: 10.1007/s40271-017-0224-1.
- Higginson IJ, Bausewein C, Reilly CC, Gao W, Gysels M, Dzingina M, et al. An integrated palliative and respiratory care service for patients with advanced disease and refractory breathlessness: a randomised controlled trial. The Lancet Respiratory Medicine. 2014; 2(12):979-87.
- Dzingina MD, Reilly CC, Bausewein C, Jolley CJ, Moxham J, McCrone P, Higginson IJ, Yi D. Variations in the cost of formal and informal health care for patients with advanced chronic disease and refractory breathlessness: A cross-sectional secondary analysis. In: Palliative medicine, 13.02.2017, p. 269216317690994
- Dzingina MD, McCrone P, Higginson IJ. Does the EQ-5D capture the concerns measured by the Palliative care Outcome Scale? Mapping the Palliative care Outcome Scale onto the EQ-5D using statistical methods. Palliative medicine. 2017; 0(0): doi: 10.1177/0269216317705608.
- Dzingina MD, Higginson IJ. Public Health and Palliative Care in 2015. Clinics in Geriatric Medicine. 2015(0):253–63. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cger.2015.01.002.
- Dzingina M, Stegenga H, Heath M, Jones D, Rogers G, Kleijnen J, Wolff R, Armstrong N, Howdle PD; Guideline Development Group. Assessment and referral after emergency treatment of a suspected anaphylactic episode: summary of NICE guidance. BMJ. 2011 Dec 14; 343:d7595.
- Carvajalino S, Reigada C, Johnson MJ, Dzingina M, Bajwah S. Symptom prevalence of patients with fibrotic interstitial lung disease: a systematic literature review. BMC Pulmonary Medicine. 2018;18(1):78.
- Ellis-Smith, C., Evans, C. J., Bone, A. E., Henson, L. A., Dzingina, M., Kane, P. M., Higginson, I. J. & Daveson, B. A. Measures to assess commonly experienced symptoms for people with dementia in long-term care settings: A systematic review. 26 Feb 2016. In: BMC Medicine. 14, 1, 38
National Clinical Guidelines
- NICE Clinical Guideline on Peritoneal Dialysis in the Treatment of Stage 5 Chronic Kidney Disease (CG 125), July 2011. http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/13524/55517/55517.pdf
- NICE Clinical Guideline on the Management of Hyperglycaemia in Acute Coronary Syndromes. (CG 130), October 2011. http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/13589/56817/56817.pdf
- NICE Clinical Guideline on Anaphylaxis: Assessment to confirm an anaphylactic episode and the decision to refer after emergency treatment for a suspected anaphylactic episode (CG 134), December 2011. http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/13626/57474/57474.pdf
- NICE Clinical Guideline on the Management of an Acute Painful Sickle Cell Episode (CG 143), June 2012. http://guidance.nice.org.uk/CG143/Guidance/pdf/English
- NICE Clinical Guideline on the management of hyperphosphataemia in patients with stage 4 or 5 chronic kidney disease (CG 157), March 2013. http://guidance.nice.org.uk/CG157/Guidance/pdf/English