Tara Renton (Specialist in Oral Surgery) is a dentist with a particular interest in trigeminal nerve injuries and pain. After completing her Oral and Maxillofacial surgical training in Melbourne in 1991, Tara undertook a PhD in Trigeminal Nerve injury at KCL 1999-2003. She was later appointed Senior Lecturer at QMUL and then was awarded her chair in 2006 at Kings College London.
Education From 2006-2015 Tara led the teaching of dental students modernising the Oral Surgical teaching with minimal access approach and modern LA techniques. She has established an academic oral surgery training programme for Academic Oral Surgery SpRs and has supervised 7 PhDs. In collaboration with IoPPN KCL and Imperial College Tara has established an international leading programme of trigeminal nerve injury and orofacial pain research. She leads the Kings Health Partners Orofacial Pain Service seeing over 2K OFP patients a year. Ongoing research includes;
- Application Reference Number: BRC-2016-10058 South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust (SLaM) and King’s College London (KCL) Title of the proposed Research Theme: Pain £3,825,000.00 2017. Head and face pain group PIs Professor Peter Goadsby, Steve Williams, Lance McCracken, Tara Renton, Stephen McMahon, (11th Group IoPPN Bioresource group)
- Translational research MRC Grant, ‘Stratifying Chronic Pain Patients By Pathological Mechanism- A Multimodal Investigation Using Functional MRI, Psychometric And Clinical Assessment.’ £2.4M 2017
- IRASNumber: 254806 Study Title: Descending modulation and central sensitisation in neuropathic pain
- RE: IRAS243947, CPMS 38433Descending modulation and central sensitisation in post-surgical pain
- Grunenthal British Pain Society Grant 2016 (£10,000) Portfolio study Developing Diagnostic criteria and Artificial online diagnostics for Orofacial pain IRAS 173208 Stratification of patients presenting with orofacial pain
- Prof Justin Durham NewCastle University IRAS No: 194728 - Understanding REpeat Attenders for emergency care Not continuing care: REAsoN study
- Prof David Bennett NIHR bioresource Bridge neuropathic pain Oxford University NIHR rare diseases
- Clinical sphenopalatine simulation service 2 centres InPut Pain Management St Thomas Hospital (Lead Prof Adnan AL Kaisi) and Neurology KCHFT/KCL Lead Prof Goadsby
- UCL Prof Praveen Anand Hammersmith Hospital Peripheral pain receptor immunohistochemistry work and publications
Policy Tara co-edited the BDA clinical manuals for Oral Surgery Books I and II. She is on the editorial boards for British Society of dental hygienists and therapists and Dental Update and associate editor for Journal of orofacial pain and headache. Tara is an elected member of the RCS England FDS Board. She is an invited member of the National Advisory Board for Human Factors in Dentistry (NABHFD). She is London South CLRN lead and she is an elected council member for British Association Oral Surgery (Past President), GDC Dental forum and SAC.
Impact Tara has set up two patient facing websites first a patient lead initiative resulted in the development of the Trigeminalnerve.org.uk a website advising both patients and clinicians in preventing and managing iatrogenic nerve injury in relation to dentistry and a website for patients with chronic trigeminal pain (www.orofacialpain.co.uk).
Invited member International Classification of Orofacial Pain (ICOP) a grouping of international specialists from IASP, HIS, ICHD, AAPO, AACP forming the first all encompassing diagnostic criteria for acute and chronic orofacial pain.
Patient safety work, websites, LocSSIPs lead, lecturing and M3M and AMs guideline development invited member National Advisory Board Human factors in Dentistry
And have led the development of Oral Surgery as one of two new dental specialities since 2000.
Changed dental practice in relation to LA, M3M, Endo and Implant risk assessment and surgical practice
Chair M3M FDS RCS Guidelines due to be published 2019
Lambru, G., Elias, L-A., Yakkaphan, P. & Renton, T., 13 May 2020, (Accepted/In press) In : Cephalalgia. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article
Renton, T. & Van Der Cruyssen, F., 19 Dec 2019, In : Oral Surgery. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1111/ors.12465
Renton, T. F. & Van der Cruyssen, F., 15 Nov 2019, (Accepted/In press) In : Journal of Surgery. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article
Madadian, M. A. & Renton, T., 1 Jan 2019, In : Dental Update. 46, 9, p. 837-846 10 p. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article
Bhargava, V. & Renton, T., 1 Jan 2019, In : Dental Update. 46, 9, p. 866-879 14 p. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.12968/denu.2019.46.9.866
Wei, D. Y., Moreno-Ajona, D., Renton, T. & Goadsby, P. J., 11 Jun 2019, In : Journal of Headache and Pain. 20, 1, p. 1-6 6 p., 69. Research output: Contribution to journal - Article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1186/s10194-019-1019-7
Renton, T. F., Mar 2019, In : Dental Update. 46, 3, p. 204-218 15 p. Research output: Contribution to journal - Review article. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.12968/denu.2019.46.3.204
Renton, T., 2018, (Accepted/In press) In : Dental Update. 45, 10, p. 935-946 Research output: Contribution to journal - Article
Krishnan, U., Moule, A. & Renton, T., 1 Jan 2017, Common Complications in Endodontics: Prevention and Management. Springer International Publishing Switzerland, p. 41-63 23 p. Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding - Chapter. DOIs: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-60997-3_3
Mills, I. J., Barker, S. & Renton, T., 1 Nov 2017, In : Dental Update. 44, 10, p. 922-934 13 p. Research output: Contribution to journal - Review article