Our expert Pre-Award teams:
- provide staff and staff-related costs (space costs, fec costs etc) for research proposals
- approve all funding applications prior to submission
- accept grants awarded on behalf of King's College London
- draft and negotiate legal terms for funding
- negotiate collaboration/consortium agreements
- sign research contracts on behalf of King's College London
If you are a member of staff applying for external research funding, please see our internal pages where you will find in-depth guidance on Preparing a Proposal, Costing and Pricing a Proposal and details for all the Pre-Award team contacts.
If you are external to King's and wish to discuss a potential contract, please contact Daniela Amadio, Head of Research Grants (pre-award), and she will put you in touch with the right person in the team.
If you are applying for research funding with King's as the named host institution, please be aware of our institutional requirements. This applies to all sorts of research funding schemes, including fellowships where the fellow will be employed by King's.
King's requirements for all proposals:
- The nature of the work can be classified as research
- The person applying is eligible to hold a grant in accordance with the requirements of both King's and the funding body
- The proposal quotes costs obtained from appropriate sources (including staff costs from the Pre-Award team)
- King's approval has been given (via completion of an internal RG Form and Pre-Award team sign-off)
For detailed explanation of the above, please see Preparing a Proposal PDF.
Timescale for completing an application
4-6+ weeks before you wish to submit to a funding body
|Make preliminary contact with key parties, including the Pre-Award team (who provide staff costs, staff-related costs and, if applicable, the currency exchange rate).
|2-3+ weeks before submission
||Finish application and complete a King's RG Form (request a copy of the appropriate RG Form in your preliminary contact with Pre-Award staff).
|1+ weeks before submission
||Send finished application and RG Form to Pre-Award staff to review. Once any application issues identified by Pre-Award staff have been resolved, the team formally approve the application and it can be submitted to the funding body.
For funding schemes where a large number of applications are anticipated (e.g. fellowships), alternative and/or additional internal timescales are applied. Please check deadlines with the Pre-Award team when first making contact with them.
Please send the award documentation to the Pre-Award team to review and accept on behalf of King's. The team will also negotiate the terms of any funding agreements relating to the award (e.g. collaborator / subcontractor contracts).