Research & Impact
Our Vascular Risk & Surgery Section is headed by Professor Phil Chowienczyk and based at the St Thomas’ campus.
It includes clinician scientists in cardiovascular clinical pharmacology and vascular surgery headed by Professor Alberto Smith. It is co-located with dedicated facilities for MRI and ultrasound imaging and other cardiometabolic phenotyping at the St Thomas’ campus.
The section has strengths in:
- human experimental medicine
- identifying new targets for treatment and prevention of cardiovascular disease
- developing advanced treatments such as cell therapy for ischaemic peripheral vascular disease
- using the latest advances in ‘omics and imaging technologies to guide and personalise use of established therapies
Particular areas of interests are:
- hypertension related heart failure
- aneurysmal disease
- venous disease
- complex vascular interventions.
The section has a strong record of training both clinician and basic scientists in cardiovascular medicine/clinical pharmacology and in vascular disease, with Clinical Fellowships and PhD students supported by the BHF, MRC, Wellcome and NIHR.
Browser does not support script.