Exploring Chinese Characters (15 hours only)
Not for credit
Available course dates:
From: 25 January 2024 To: 28 March 2024
By studying the course Exploring Chinese Characters (15 hours only), you will:
- be able to understand the basics of Chinese characters
- be able to read the printed and handwritten scripts on everyday topics
- be able to write simple texts using descriptive language accurately
- be able to develop the ability to recognise and understand a minimum of 200 characters
- be able to acquire the skill to write a minimum of 100 characters
- have developed knowledge of culture and well-being related to the Chinese characters
- have developed and enhanced intercultural competence
What does this course cover?
- Chinese character basics, including basic strokes and derivative strokes, rules of stroke order, structures of characters, radicals, components, and the history of the evolution of Chinese Characters
- Chinese characters formation including pictographs, ideographs, pointers and phono-sematic compounds
- Common radicals and example characters, radicals including, for example, 亻扌辶 氵 衤 钅礻
- 100 most frequently used characters to write
- 200 frequently used characters to recognise
- Historical and cultural contexts of Chinese characters)
- Characters in the context and word formation
- Chinese character learning strategies
- Skills in using dictionaries, APPs and other self-learning resources
- Skills in typing Chinese characters
- Chinese calligraphy experience
What will I achieve?
By studying the course Exploring Chinese Characters (15 hours only), you will establish and develop knowledge of Chinese characters and improve recognition and writing of characters.
*The above is an indication of content that may be covered over the duration of the course but it could vary depending on the level and progress of students in the class.