French Language for Medical Professions, Level 5 Part 2
Not for credit
Available course dates:
From: 25 January 2024 To: 28 March 2024
Are you planning to work abroad as a healthcare professional?
Do you want to work for Doctor's without Borders or on the medical ships? A command of the French language will assist you to do so.
About the course. The course is aimed at a wide range of students working or studying in the health sector with an interest in the French language and culture who wish to gain a greater degree of intercultural competence, who want to analyse and reflect upon key cultural and social-political issues, and who aim to improve their command of French and widen their range of vocabulary, in particular related to health.
Students wishing to enrol need to have completed one of the following:
- Level 4 French taught by the MLC
- B1/B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
- an A-level or equivalent over 4 years old plus further contact with the language
- level 3 of the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF)
- a high degree of fluency and accuracy in the language
By the end of the course you will:
- have gained a sound understanding of the French healthcare system;
- be able to express yourself orally and in written from on medical, ethical, and social issues using a range of accurate vocabulary and appropriate register with confidence;
- be able to understand a range of spoken and written discourses in different styles: factual, journalistic and non-specialist technical with ease;
- have refined your intercultural competence by accessing medical and social information from a variety of sources;
- prepare for the Diplôme de Français Professionnel: Médical B2, one of the main qualifications in medical French delivered by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Paris.
What does this course cover?
The course may follow the following outline.
Drug and vaccines
Heart and lung diseases
Writing a prescription
Writing a medical certificate
Writing a clinical observation (1)
Complex relative pronouns
What will I achieve?
After successfully completing all three parts of this course, students will have achieved the equivalent of B2/C1 level of the CEFR, level 4 of the RQF.
*The above is an indication of content that may be covered over the duration of the course but it could vary depending on the level and progress of students in the class.