The Defence Studies Department
The Defence Studies Department is at the heart of security and defence education in the United Kingdom.
With a generation of experience, the Defence Studies Department is able to respond to the evolving needs of military education in an everchanging environment.
Our unique practitioner relationship with the UK Defence Academy places us as a leader for professional military education internationally
We form an integral part of the UK Joint Services Command and Staff College (JSCSC) and the Royal College of Defence Studies which provide world-class command and staff education and training to officers and civil servants of the United Kingdom and select allied nationals.
Our experts provide advice, academic leadership and policy advice to the UK Ministry of Defence and many other government departments both in the UK and internationally.
Our aim is to:
- Deliver cutting-edge research and education that impacts across the disciplines of defence, security, strategic studies and the history of conflict.
- Develop the intellectual edge of defence and security practitioners from the UK and allied nations.
- Provide evidence-based advice to the UK government on areas related to defence, security, and strategy.
Our purpose is to:
- Enable innovative research and research-enhanced education on questions related to defence, security, strategy, and history.
- Inform, engage, and lead in discussion and debates across the defence and security policy sector nationally and internationally.
- Develop within our students the knowledge, creativity, and intellectual skills necessary to succeed in a complex and demanding operating environment