Professor Mervyn Frost
Professor of international Relations
Department of War Studies
School of Security Studies
King's College London
London WC2R 2LS
Phone: 020 7848 1873
Office hours: Tuesdays 3-4pm
I was educated at the University of Stellenbosch and subsequently, as a Rhodes Scholar, I read Politics at Oxford. I held lectureships at the University of Cape Town and at Rhodes University before being appointed to the Chair of Politics and Head of Department at the University of Natal in Durban. In 1996 I was appointed Professor of International Relations at the University of Kent in Canterbury. I have been President of the South African Political Studies Association and editor of its journal Politikon.
I am currently on the editorial boards of:
- International Political Sociology
- Journal of International Political Theory
- South African Journal of International Affairs
- Politics and Governance
- International Public Policy Review
I have served on the Executive Committee of the International Studies Association (ISA) and was until 2008 Chairman of the International Ethics Section of the ISA.
I joined the Department in 2003 as Professor of International Relations in the Centre for International Relations. I served for 6 years as Head of the Department of War Studies from 2007 to 2013.
My areas of interest include:
Expertise and Public Engagement
I am happy to supervise PhD students in the broad area of International Ethics, including:
- Human Rights in International Relations
- Humanitarian Intervention
- Justice in World Politics
- Democratizing Global Governance
- The Just War Tradition in an Era of New Wars
- Ethics in a Globalizing World
- Ethical issues surrounding the use of private military and security companies
I give public lectures and provide media commentary on a range of ethical questions that arise in international affairs.