Dr Slawomir Raszewski
Senior Research Associate
European Centre for Energy and Resource Security (EUCERS)
Department of War Studies
King's College London
Dr Slawomir Raszewski is the author of numerous publications in the field of energy policy and governance, as well as a frequent speaker at international conferences and events, and an energy and security commentator for many media outlets including the BBC. His research interests lie at the intersection of International Political Economy and Security. Slawomir’s advisory and consulting experience includes energy policy, risk, and regulation. He has served as a member of European Science and Technology Network on Unconventional Hydrocarbon Extraction at the European Commission's Joint Research Centre. Slawomir has undertaken energy research and scholarly activities across many countries and territories including Alaska, Australia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Iran, Russia and Turkey. His previous research experience includes working with the ‘Petroleum and Society’ project within the Centre for International Minerals and Energy Law, at the University of Queensland and the ESRC-funded ‘Political Economy of Energy in Europe and Russia’ at the University of Warwick. Slawomir is a member of the UK-China Consortium on Shaping the Low Carbon Energy Future, focusing on natural gas policy in the era of low-carbon energy transition. He holds a Ph.D from University of Leeds (UK) where his research focused on the role of energy transit in the external energy policy of the European Union. He is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) and leads an MSc programme in International Oil and Gas Management. Slawomir can be followed on Twitter at @RashevS
- (2017) The International Political Economy of Oil and Gas, London: Palgrave MacMillan.
- (2017) ‘Emerging Economies and Energy: The Case of Turkey’ In: A. Goldthau, M.F. Keating and C. Kuzemko (eds) Handbook of International Political Economy of Energy and Natural Resources, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- (2017) ‘Russian Energy Projects and the Global Climate, Geopolitics and Development Conundrum’ In: R. Leal-Arcas and J. Wouters (eds) Research Handbook on EU Energy Law and Policy, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- (2016) Kazakhstan Between the Key Energy Demand Centers Europe and Asia: Geo-economic and Geopolitical Dimensions and Implications (with F. Umbach), Bonn: Konrad Adenauer Foundation.
- (2016) ‘State and Substate Oil Trade: The Turkey – Kurdistan Regional Government Deal’ (with V. Özdemir), Middle East Policy Vol. 23, Issue 1, pp. 125-135.
- (2016) ‘Shale Gas and Energy Security’ (Chapter 7) In: T. Hunter (ed) Handbook of Shale Gas Law and Policy, Cambridge: Intersentia.
- (2016) ‘Shale Gas Policy in the European Union’ (Chapter 12) In: T. Hunter (ed) Handbook of Shale Gas Law and Policy, Cambridge: Intersentia.
- (2016) ‘Global Energy and the Political Dynamics in the Middle East’, Valdai Paper No. 53, 28 July.
- (2016) ‘Мировая Энергетика и Политическая Динамика на Ближнем Востоке’, Валдайская Записка №53, 28 July. (the Russian language version of the above article)
- (2016) ‘To be or not to be? OPEC Summit and the Essence of Decision and Compliance’, Valdai Expert Opinion, 2 December.
- (2016) ‘Быть или не быть? Саммит ОПЕК: Суть решения и как оно будет исполняться’, Валдай: Мнения экспертов, 2 December. (the Russian language version of the above article)
- (2016) ‘Options for Gas Supply Diversification for the EU and Germany in the Next Two Decades’ (with H. Hecking, A. Vatansever and S. Schulte), Cologne and London: Institute of Energy Economics at the University of Cologne & the European Centre for Energy and Resource Security, October 2016 <http://www.ewi.research-scenarios.de/cms/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Options-for-Gas-Supply-Diversification.pdf>
- (2015) ‘Energy Security Perceptions in Poland and Turkey’, The Polish Quarterly of International Affairs Vol. 24, Issue 1, pp. 29-40.
- (2015) ‘Australia’s National Interest in Supplying Gas Resources to the Asian Markets’ (with T. Hunter) In: J. Farrar, M. Hiscock and V.I. Lo (eds) Australia's Trade, Investment and Security in the Asian Century, Singapore/London/Hackensack, NJ: World Scientific Publishing.
- (2015) ‘Europe’s Dependency on Russian Gas is not Likely to Change any Time Soon’, The Conversation, 1 March.
- (2015) ‘States over Markets? Development of a Turkish Gas Hub and its Effects on Sustainable Market Development’ In: G. Nodia and C. Stefes (eds) Security, Democracy and Development in the Southern Caucasus and the Black Sea Region, Bern: Peter Lang.
- (2015) ‘Dichotomy of Energy Policies in the Caspian: Where Two Strive Another Benefits?’ In: L. Simao and R. Piet (eds) The Overlapping Neighbourhoods of the European Union, Russia and Turkey: Foreign Policy Making in a Contested Space, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- (2014) ‘Energy Security or Energy Governance? Legal and Political Aspects of Sustainable Exploration of Shale Gas in Poland’ (with J. Gorski), Journal of Oil, Gas & Energy Law Vol. 12, Issue 3, pp. 1-51.
- (2014) ‘Gas and Energy Security Policy in Australia: Japan as a Secure Energy Consumer’ (with T. Hunter), Brisbane: Centre for International Minerals and Energy Law, University of Queensland.
- (2014) ‘Delimitation of Competences between Member States and the EU in the External Energy Field: the Case of the Caspian Region’ In: K. Talus, B. Delvaux and M. Hunt (eds) EU Energy Law and Policy Issues: The State and Energy Markets in Search of a Balance, Brussels: Intersentia.
- (2013) ‘The Weakest Link? Hedging Energy Security Challenges and Opportunities within the Eastern Neighbourhood, the Mediterranean and the Black Sea/Caspian Region’, Neighbourhood Policy Paper Series, Istanbul/Bucharest: co-published by the Centre for International and European Studies & German Marshall Fund’s Black Sea Trust for Regional Cooperation.
- (2013) ‘Слабое Звено? Проблемы и Возможности Страхования Энергетической Безопасности в Пределах Восточного Соседства, Средиземноморья и Каспийско- Черноморского Региона’, Neighbourhood Policy Paper Series, Istanbul/Bucharest: co-published by the Centre for International and European Studies and German Marshall Fund’s Black Sea Trust for Regional Cooperation. (the Russian language version of the above article)
- (2012) ‘Security and Economics of Energy in North-East Europe’ In: C. Kuzemko, A.V. Belyi, A. Goldthau and M.F. Keating (eds) Dynamics of Energy Governance in Europe and Russia, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- (2010) ‘The EU’s External Policy of Energy Diversification in the Wider Black (and Caspian) Sea Region: Regional Security Complex or Security Community?’ In: K. Henderson and C. Weaver (eds) The Black Sea Region and EU Policy: The Challenge of Divergent Agendas, London: Ashgate.