The Centre for Defence Studies (CDS) was established at King’s College London in 1990, with a grant from the UK Ministry of Defence but is now fully independent. CDS operates in three distinct, but overlapping research areas: Academic, Public Policy, and Corporate Consultancy, and draws upon a staff of academic policy researchers, former practitioners, associates, and visiting fellows.
The Centre for Defence Studies' mission is to:
- Promote interdisciplinary approaches to international security and defence policy research.
- Distribute research and expertise through formal academic channels and through interaction with the media.
- Work with UK and other governments and international organisations.
- Conduct corporate policy research in relevant areas.
Principal areas of interest:
- Intelligence and national security
- UK foreign security and defence policy
- European defence and security
- Defence management and organisation
- Defence industry and procurement
- Regional security and new security challenges