Air Power in the Modern World
USMC F-18s over the Iraqi desert. (Cody Images)
NOTE: this programme is not being offered for 2019/20.
The fully online two-year part-time MA Air Power in the Modern World builds on the success of our War in the Modern World programme. We offer well-designed, engaging and flexible learning for everyone interested in warfare from 1945 to the present day, with special reference to the seemingly ubiquitous role of air power.
PG Diploma: Classified PG diploma may be offered to a student who has obtained 120 credits from any combination of modules.
PG Certificate: Classified PG certificate may be offered to a student who has obtained 60 credits from taught modules.
On completion of only one year’s study of 60 credits you would be awarded a Certificate. All modules 20 credits.
Year 1 comprises:
- Term 1: Required module 1: History of Contemporary Warfare 1: the early Cold War, 1945-1975
- Term 2: Required module 2: History of Contemporary Warfare 2: from Cold War to War on Terror, 1975-2011
- Term 3: Required module 3: Air Power Studies 1: the Quest to Remove Battle from War
On completion of two years’ study of 120 credits, that does not include the Dissertation, you would be awarded a Diploma.
Year 2 comprises:
- Term 1: Required module 4: Air Power Studies 2: Case Studies of Integrated Air Power
- Terms 2 and 3: choice of option modules (not all modules offered in all terms):
- 7SSWM179: Strategic Dimensions of Contemporary Warfare
- 7SSWM182: Middle Eastern Security
- 7SSWM183: African Security
- 7SSWM184: South Asian Security
- 7SSWM186: International Law and the Use of Force
- 7SSWM187: Insurgency and Counterinsurgency
- 7SSWM199: Intelligence in War and Peace
- 7SSWM200: Seapower
- 7SSWM225: War Crimes, Transitional Justice and Human Rights
- 7SSWM229: Conflict in Russia and the Post-Soviet Space
On completion of the full programme of study of 180 credits including the Dissertation of 60 credits you would be awarded the MA Air Power in the Modern World.