Discover your accommodation options and explore our residences.
If you apply for any of these Pre-sessional programmes, you will require both a Student visa for the Pre-sessional programme itself and a Student visa for your main degree programme. Please note that for the 16-week Combined programme, a Student visa is only required for the part of the programme which is taught on campus:
· 16-Week Combined Pre-sessional
· 11-Week On-Campus Pre-sessional
· 6-Week On-Campus Pre-sessional
Further visa details can be found in your offer letter(s) and you should read these carefully. Once your Pre-sessional offer is unconditional and you have confirmed all required details via King’s Apply, you will be issued with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) covering the period of your on-campus Pre-sessional programme. You should use this CAS to apply for your Student visa.
You will usually need to apply for the Student visa for your Pre-sessional programme from your home country. If you have a valid Student visa for the UK from a previous programme which you have successfully completed, you may be able to apply for your visa from the UK. Please use our Student Visa Interactive Guide to check this. You can find up-to-date visa processing times on the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website. Please note this shows only the average time between the date of your visa appointment and the date a decision is made. The entire process, from the point you submit your visa application, to the point that either your passport is returned to you endorsed with your visa vignette, or you have received your immigration ‘share code’, usually takes around six weeks using the standard service. If you are applying less than six weeks before the start of your on-campus teaching, we strongly advise you to apply using a priority service if you can, to increase the likelihood of being able to arrive on time. The earlier you apply for and accept your Pre-sessional programme offer, the more chance you have of receiving your visa in time to arrive in London to start your on-campus learning.
Important: if your visa does not arrive in time for you to arrive on campus, you must let us know by the date stated below and we will transfer you to an online programme so that you can complete your Pre-sessional studies. Based on current UKVI processing times, we believe that those on the 16 Week Combined Pre-sessional will receive a visa in time to arrive on campus in July.
All students will require a secure English language test (SELT). Please note that we only accept ‘IELTS for UKVI’ and Pearson’s ‘PTE Academic UKVI’ tests, not all of those listed on the UKVI website. For a full list of all tests and entry requirements for Pre-sessionals, please see this document on our website.
|Pre-sessional programme||Deadline for you to apply||Deadline for us to confirm you have been accepted||Start date of online teaching||Start date of on-campus teaching||
Let us know on this date if you still don’t have your visa – we’ll transfer you to an online programme
|24 April 2023||28 April 2023||2 May 2023||10 July 2023||N/A||18 August 2023|
|3 May 2023||10 May 2023||N/A||5 June 2023||30 May 2023||18 August 2023|
6 Week On-
|5 June 2023||12 June 2023||N/A||10 July 2023||26 June 2023||18 August 2023|
If you apply for either of these two Pre-sessional programmes, you will only require one Student visa, for your main degree programme, not your Pre-sessional programme:
· 11-Week Online
· 6-Week Online
|Pre-sessional programme||Deadline for you to apply||Deadline for us to confirm you have been accepted||Start date of online teaching||Start date of on-campus teaching||End date|
|21 May 2023||26 May 2023||5 June 2023||N/A||18 August 2023|
|12 June 2023||26 June 2023||10 July 2023||N/A||18 August 2023|
If you pass your Pre-sessional programme and become an unconditional offer holder for your main degree programme, we will issue you with a new CAS which you should then use to apply for a Student visa for your main degree programme.
- If you are on a Pre-sessional programme with on-campus teaching (see above), you will normally make this application from the UK. In this case, you need to have applied for your Student visa before you enrol on your main degree programme, but you do not need to have received it before you enrol.
- If you are on a Pre-sessional programme without on-campus teaching, i.e. fully online (see above), you will normally apply for your Student visa from your home country. You can read more about applying for a Student visa for your main degree programme here. A small number of students will be eligible for an Integrated CAS; the criteria for this are detailed in your offer letter.
All Pre-sessional programmes finish on 18 August 2023 to allow time for your results to be finalised and, if required, for you to apply for your Student visa for your main degree programme at the earliest possible time. We will prioritise CAS issuance for those applying from outside the UK. CAS for students who have completed the online programme will therefore be issued on 4 September 2023. Those studying on campus/ combined will receive their CAS on 11 September 2023.
Our aim is to ensure all students are able to start their programmes on time. However, parts of the visa application process are outside of King’s control. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you: - familiarise yourself with the visa application process as soon as possible
- apply for the Pre-sessional as soon as possible after you receive your degree offer
- accept your Pre-sessional offer as soon as possible – this gives you as much time as possible to obtain your visa
- accept your offer at least 7 days earlier than the latest acceptance deadline to ensure that funds arrive in time, if you are paying by bank transfer
- check the King’s Apply portal regularly for updates and messages and respond as quickly as possible with any requested documentation - apply for your Student visa as soon as you receive your CAS
- carefully check the tables above for key dates for the Pre-sessional programme for which you have applied
Discover your accommodation options and explore our residences.
Explore King's campuses.
Make new friends, have fun and be part of the vibrant student community...
King's is right in the heart of the capital.