KBS_Icon_questionmark link-ico

Student funding - frequently asked questions

 TFL student travel discounts

I have applied for a Student Oyster Photocard. When will my card be approved?

Applications cannot be approved until your first day of term, so we will not be able to approve your Oyster card before this date.

We will only be able to approve applications for students who have fully completed registration, including on-campus enrolment.

How do I apply for Student Oyster Photocard?

Full-time students can apply for an 18+ TfL oyster card providing a third off travel in London. Students must apply online on the TFL website. Applicants will require a digital photograph and a credit/debit card. Applicants can check their eligibility with the Student Funding Office or on the TfL website; the TfL website also includes important information about how and when applications will be validated.

The Student Funding Office approves all Student Oyster Photo cards (i.e. confirms that the student is registered as full-time for TfL), and can check what stage the application is at. Students can contact the Student Funding Office if they experience any problem with their oyster card.

When you make your Oyster Card application, please ensure that you select King’s College London as the institution:

  • King’s College London – James Clerk Maxwell Building (institution code 0403) 

Can I get a student discount on National Rail?

Students can apply for a National Rail 16-25 Railcard (formerly known as a Young Persons Railcard). It costs £30 and saves students 1/3 on rail fares throughout Great Britain for a whole year. For information about eligibility and how to apply visit the 16-25 Railcard website.

Mature students (over the age of 26 and in full-time education) can also apply.

UK funding

What funding is available to me?

The following package offered by the UK government is available to new students taking a first degree:

  • A Student Loan for tuition fees is available to most home/EU full-time undergraduate students and home/EU PGCE students. The loan will match the amount of tuition fees you have to pay, and is administered by the Student Loan Company.
  • Student loans for living costs are part of the financial student support package available to assist most new and existing full-time home undergraduate and PGCE students with their living expenses. The amount of student loan you can get will depend on the year you started your course, your household income, and the type of course you are doing.
  • Tuition Fee and Maintenance loans are paid back after students have left university and you will only repay when your income is over £511 a week or £2,214 a month (before tax and other deductions).

Loans and grants 2020-21

UK government guide to student finance

I haven't received my student loan/grant - what should I do? / I need you to confirm my registration

If you are a new student, you will need to complete online enrolment, and attend your on-campus registration event in order to be full enrolled.

Funds will be released by the SLC in line with the dates in your Student Finance entitlement letter and only once you have fully enrolled at King's. To note, when your registration is confirmed to SLC, then it usually takes 3-4 for the funds to reach your bank account.

The Student Funding Office confirms student registrations every day, so once you have completed enrolment we will inform the Student Loans Company of your registrations.

If you have any further issues, please contact the Student Funding Office.

What should I do with my Student Loans Company payment schedule/financial notification letter?

The payment schedule indicates the payment dates of your loans and grants. However, if you did not provide your Student Support Number when you enrolled, or stated that you were paying your own fees, please contact the Student Funding Office as we will need to correct your record.

What do I need to do if I have a student loan and have transferred to King's College London from another institution?

If you have transferred to King’s College London from another institution then please contact the Student Funding Office so that we can update your records.

I want to interrupt/withdraw from my course what should I do about my students loans?

Please contact the Student Funding Office for guidance on the change of circumstance process and the implications on your funding.

Occasionally, situations arise that are outside your control and may adversely impact your ability to engage with your studies, i.e. ill health, financial difficulties and other personal reasons.

If there is a change in your circumstances, you should talk to your Personal Tutor before completing the necessary paperwork and submitting a request through your Student Records. It is also advisable to talk to The Student Advice Team at King's Student Services if you are considering an interruption of study, transfer or a withdrawal from a programme so they can explain the different effects of doing so.

Once the change (Transfer/Interruption/Resumption) has been authorised by the relevant teams, then the Student Funding Team will liaise with your Funding Body to ensure you receive the support you are entitled to.

I have not paid my tuition/accommodation fees. What will happen? Who should I talk to?

Any student who fails to settle the overdue balance within the prescribed dates will be liable to suspension from the university and then have his/her university registration cancelled after 14 days written notice from the Director of Students & Education Support. Suspension means a total prohibition on attendance at or access to the university and on any participation in university activities.  

If you are worried about paying for your tuition/accommodation fees, please contact the Credit Control Team and they will look at your request individually. We’d also recommend you contact the Advice & Guidance Team so they can support you during these difficult times.

Scholarships and bursaries

Am I eligible for the King's Living Bursary?

Student’s do not need to apply for the King's Living Bursary. This scheme is open to every full-time home, first degree student who has been means-tested by the Student Loans Company with a final income assessment of £42,875 or less, on the £9,000/£9,250 tuition fee rate. As a full-time home undergraduate student studying in 2020-21, the level of bursary you receive will depend on your income and that of your household.

Second degree students on non-graduate entry programmes will be considered eligible, provided they meet the remaining criteria. Unfortunately, NHS Funded students are not eligible.

To be means-tested, you would need to send your household income information to the Student Loans Company, even if you do not intend to take up the maintenance loan. Please click here for the Student Loan Company’s contact details so they can talk you through the means-testing process and the information they require.

Once you have been means-tested and meet all the other criteria, emails confirming your eligibility will be sent and payments are usually made in November and February the following year.


What other bursaries or scholarships are offered by King’s?

We offer a range of scholarships and bursaries, each with their own eligibility criteria and application deadlines. Learn more, including eligibility and how to apply

Hardship funds

I am in financial difficulty. Are there any sources of funding I can apply to?

There are several sources of discretionary funding available through King’s:

Postgraduate funding

Can I apply for a postgraduate student loan?

The postgraduate student loan operates in much the same way as your undergraduate student loan for maintenance. You can apply for up to £11,222, and these funds can be used for either tuition or living costs. The loan is not means-tested, and the repayments will be calculated using a similar method to your undergraduate loan repayments.

These loans are only available to English domiciled and EU students and will be paid directly to you. You may use the funds for tuition and/or living or study costs.

I am trying to apply for a postgraduate student loan and cannot find my course

If you are applying for a part-time programme, the programme will be listed as 'equivalent to 1 year full-time'.

If you are still unable to locate your course, please contact the Student Funding Office. We can check that the course has been made available.

Does King’s offer scholarships and bursaries for postgraduate students?

For postgraduate taught students there are a range of scholarships and bursaries, each with their own eligibility criteria and application deadlines. Learn more, including eligibility and how to apply

Learn about the funding opportunities for postgraduate research students

What other sources of funding are available?

Our Centre for Doctoral Studies offers a number of funding schemes for postgraduate students

For queries about any of the funding administered by the Centre for Doctoral Studies, please contact them directly. (email: doctoralstudies@kcl.ac.uk, telephone: +44 (0)20 7848 5454).

Our alternative guide to funding deals with find funding from alternative sources such as charities.

Finally, our you can search for any funding opportunities King’s is aware of using our Graduate Funding Database.

Tuition Fee Payments and Invoices

For information about tuition fee invoices and payments, please see the information on our Credit Control pages.

For any further queries, please contact our Credit Control team.

For queries regarding refunds of tuition fee deposits, please contact our Admissions Office in the first instance via your King's Apply account.

US loans and veteran's affairs 

Am I eligible for Federal Student Aid?

You must be enrolled at least half time on an eligible course at King’s in order to receive the Federal Loan.

If any part of your course is delivered online (for example, as for distance learning courses) or if you will be studying in the USA for any part of your course, you will not be able to take any Federal Loans, though you may apply for a private study loan. 

If you have been convicted of an offence under any US Law involving possession or sale of a controlled substance then you will not be eligible for a US Federal Loan for a specified period. Please see full information on our disclosure page.

Who can advise me on my United States Student Loan?

Once you have successfully submitted your FAFSA then King’s will need to review your US Federal Loan application documents in order to approve and certify your loan. Please follow the steps at the above link, using the checklist to ensure that you provide all the necessary information.

What is the Federal School Code for King's College London?

The Federal School Code for King's College London is G09085.

How much can I borrow?

The maximum amount you can borrow will be calculated as the College's Cost of Attendance (COA) less any Expected Financial Aid (EFA) which includes bursaries, scholarships, grants and awards. VA Benefits are not included as aid. Your COA will be confirmed to you by email. 

I need my US loans deferred. What should I do?

If you have a form you need completed please visit the Student Funding Office. This includes “In School Deferment Requests”.

Can I use my veteran's benefits to study a course at King’s?

If you are a Veteran, or Veteran’s dependent, who is entitled to VA (Veterans Affairs) Benefits under the GI Bill then you will be able to claim those benefits if you enrol at King’s on a VA approved course.

Unfortunately distance learning courses at a foreign school cannot be approved for VA Benefits.

You will need to provide a copy of your current VA Certificate of Eligibility Letter in order for us to certify your enrolment at King’s.


Additional resources




Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA)

Disability Support: 0207 848 1234 or disability@kcl.ac.uk


Tuition fee payment: methods, terms and conditions

Credit Control: 0207 848 3279 credit.control@kcl.ac.uk


Tax Form to be completed

Credit Control: 0207 848 3279 credit.control@kcl.ac.uk


Study Abroad

Global Mobility: 020 7848 7385/7386 (incoming/outgoing)


Deposit Payment

Admissions: contact via King's Apply or call 020 7848 7000


Personal problems, housing issues, debt, budgeting, course affordability

Student Advice: advice@kcl.ac.uk or 0207 848 7002

Confirmation of Study Letter to open student Bank account or for council tax

Available through Self Service

Expenses claims (usually from placement)

Relevant Department



Explore King’s

Accommodation Take a look at our comfortable, safe residences to suit your budget, located close to King's teaching campuses.
Student life Art, food, music, shopping – you'll never find yourself with nothing to do in the world's most vibrant city.
Extra-curricular Discover the huge variety of extra-curricular opportunities at King’s, from MOOCs to language courses.
London living With four campuses by the River Thames and one in south London, King's is right in the heart of the capital.

Next steps

View a prospectus

Learn more about the degree programmes on offer at King's.

Undergraduate prospectus

Postgraduate guide