KBS_Icon_questionmark link-ico

How to apply to study abroad at King's

Online application

The King's College London Study Abroad programme allows students who are currently studying for their degree at an overseas institution to spend either a semester or a full year at King’s. Find out more about the entry requirements and how to apply below. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to read some of our most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).

To apply for a Study Abroad or Internship programme at King’s you will need to first register on our online application system and then complete our online application form.

(If you are coming on Exchange, rather than as a fee-paying student, your home institution will first need to nominate you - details of the nomination process can be found here.)

Study Abroad Application Guidance Notes

Please read our application guidance notes very carefully before submitting your application to study abroad at King's College London. It is essential that you refer to the step-by-step guidance notes throughout the application process to avoid mistakes that will delay the processing of your application. 

Please note that applications submitted before the deadline which fulfil our entry requirements are not guaranteed to be offered a place; they may be made unsuccessful due to limited capacity on our study abroad programmes.

If you are unable to access the online application form, please contact the study abroad admissions team at King’s for advice.

Entry requirements

In order to apply for study abroad at King's, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Undertaken a minimum of 1 year of university level study (by the time you start at King’s)

  • A cumulative GPA of 3.3 or above on a 4.0 scale; or its equivalent.

  • A relevant academic background:  It is important that you have the necessary academic background for the modules you wish to be considered for.

 If you have any questions about your qualifications or the entry requirements, please contact us.


Additional requirements

English language requirements

If you require a Tier 4 visa, you must meet the specific Level B2 English Language requirements as specified on the UKVI website. Further information on English language requirements, including IELTS, TOEFL, Pearson Test of English, and Cambridge Advanced Certificate criteria can be found in the relevant column on King's main English language requirements webpages:

For further information about the pre-sessional English language course please visit the English Language Centre's webpages.


Supporting Materials

A complete application should include the following three documents. All should be written in English:

Personal statement

You should respond to the following four questions/statements with no more than 200 words for each response:

1.  King's is very much focused on the importance of an international student experience. Please consider internationalisation from your own perspective and detail how having an international experience at King's will contribute towards your becoming a ‘global citizen’.

2.  Studying in another country and adapting to a new education system can be very challenging. Please tell us a little about the strategies you will use to integrate yourself into life at King's and in London.

3. Please list some examples of King's modules that appeal to you and include:
a) How these modules correspond with your current programme of study
b) How these modules will contribute towards your long-term career aspirations

Students applying for an Erasmus traineeship or for the Postgraduate Research Study Abroad programme can skip question 3.

4.  What aspects of King's life do you hope to get involved in outside of your academic commitments?

Academic reference

In your application, please supply the email address of one academic referee. This must be a professional academic, professor or otherwise, who teaches in the subject areas which you intend to study at King’s and who is familiar with your academic abilities and suitability for our programmes.

The reference provided should be from an academic who is currently teaching you within the relevant level of study to which you are applying to study abroad at King's. For example, if you are applying for the Postgraduate Taught programme, your reference should be written by an academic who is teaching you at postgraduate level (not by a former undergraduate professor, for example). If you are applying for the Postgraduate Research Study Abroad Programme, your reference should be written by your current doctoral supervisor.

King's will contact your referee directly for your reference by email. The reference should be written on university letterhead, be signed by the academic staff member (or sent in secure electronic format) and include mention of your academic performance, potential, and your suitability for study abroad, especially for the academic subjects to which you are applying to study whilst at King's.

Academic transcript

Your latest transcript from your home institution, including current GPA and modules (courses) completed to date. We can accept official or unofficial transcripts; unofficial transcripts must have clear evidence that they have been formally issued by your home institution, such as through a watermark or logo/crest.

Please note, students intending to attend King's on a Tier 4 visa and/or to participate in the Health & Society programme, must provide a transcript that is stamped and signed by your home institution.

ALL transcripts submitted must include:

1.  Name of your home institution/university
2.  Name of your programme of study, course or major 
3.  List of all completed modules (courses) to date
4. Grade Point Average (GPA) or equivalent

Please note we will only accept transcripts in English. If your original transcript is not in English, you must provide an official translation.  

PhD proposal outline (PhD applicants only)

Please supply a short outline describing your current research project. This should be approximately one page in length.


How much does it cost to study abroad at King's?

Up-to-date information about fees can be found online. King's also offers funding opportunities for Study Abroad students who are studying at King’s on a fee-paying basis through the Excellence Scholarships. Read about eligibility criteria and the application process for this, here. (Scroll to the bottom) Take a look at the blog posts and some photographs of former winners for inspiration!

What are the semester dates at King's?

Semester dates can be found here. 

Do I need to apply if my home institution has already nominated me?

Yes; all students must complete an online application in order to study at King's. Please make a note of the deadlines as these apply to all students, including exchange students.

Should I apply as an exchange student or as an independent student?

This depends on whether your home university has a bilateral exchange agreement with King's College London. If they do, and have selected (‘nominated’) to send you to King’s then you can apply as an Exchange student. You can only apply as an Exchange student after you have been nominated by your home university! If there is no bilateral agreement then you must apply as an independent, fee-paying Study Abroad student.

What are the application deadlines?

The deadline for semester one and full year applicants is March 31st. The deadline for semester two applicants is October 31st. The Health and Society deadline for semester one and full year applicants is March 1st. The Health and Society deadline for semester two applicants is October 1st. Our dates and deadlines can be reviewed here.

I am not sure how to complete the online application form. What should I do?

Please refer to the Study Abroad Application Guidance Notes for a step-by-step guide on how to complete your online application form. If this does not resolve your issue and you require further assistance, please contact the Admissions Team (studyabroad-admissions@kcl.ac.uk) who will assist you further.

What is my nationality? (For application purposes)

Your nationality is what is listed on your passport under ‘Nationality’, not what your family heritage is. It is important to get this right as stating the incorrect nationality can cause confusion as to whether you will require a visa (Short Term Study or Tier 4) to enter the UK. For example, if your nationality is listed as 'United States of America' on your passport but your family originates from Greece, listing 'Greek' as your nationality suggests that you have a current Greek passport and are an EU citizen that does not require a visa to enter the UK. 

The name on my application does not match the name on my passport.

Before submitting your online application, it is important to ensure that the name on your application form matches the name on your passport and is your full legal name. If the Admissions Team need to provide you with a new offer letter, this has to be done manually and there can be delays if it is a particularly busy time of year. If your legal name is different to your preferred name, there is a place on the application form to input this.

How long will it take to receive a decision on my application?

Applications are processed on a rolling admission basis. The Admissions Team aims to process applications within 4 weeks, however this may vary depending on the time of year. You will only receive a decision if your application is complete with all required supporting documentation. 

I've submitted my application but haven't heard anything yet - what should I do?

The Admissions Team aims to make a final decision on an application within 4 weeks of receipt of a fully completed application. If there are any missing documents to your application, then this will cause a delay, so please do make sure that you have submitted all the required documents. If you are concerned about the status of your application, or have any questions about this, please send a message to the Admissions Team through the application portal. 

Where can I find the status of my application?

For updates on the status of your application, you need to log in to King’s Apply. On the ‘Application Overview’ page under ‘Application status’ you will see the latest update on your application.  

I have been made an offer, how do I confirm my decision?

You can see if you have been made an unconditional or conditional offer on the ‘Application Overview’ page. From here, you will see a section entitled ‘Your Offer’ and on the ‘Your Offer’ page you can confirm your decision on the offer.

I have not received my offer letter. Can you tell me where to find it?

Your offer letter is available in PDF format through the King’s Apply portal. You need to log in to King’s Apply and go to the ‘Your Offer’ section. From here you can view and download your offer letter. We do not send hard copy versions of the offer letter to you in the post. Note: If you are a semester-only applicant and require a Short Term Study Visa, this is attached to your offer letter.

I have a visa question. Who should I ask?

Firstly, take a look at our ‘Information for offer holder’s web page as there is a visa section here, just for you. If you have a specific query regarding the Tier 4 visa, take a look at this very helpful Tier 4 visa FAQ page. If you would like to contact the International Student Advice Team directly with a query you are unable to find the answer to online, complete an online enquiry form with your unique query. 

I need to apply for a Tier 4 Visa. How do I request a CAS number?

Students who will be attending King’s College London under the full year Study Abroad programme and are non-EU passport holders will automatically be provided with a CAS number as they will need to apply for a Tier 4 Visa. 

Those who have applied for autumn or spring semester only will be provided with a Short Term Study Visa, which is attached to their offer letter; semester only students should travel to the UK on this. 

IMPORTANT: Please ensure that the passport details provided on your application form are up to date and correct.

I still have not received my CAS number and want to apply for my Tier 4 Visa. What should I do?

You cannot apply for a Tier 4 Visa until 3 months before the start of your programme, therefore we will not issue CAS numbers earlier than this.

I requested a Tier 4 Visa but I do not want to apply for this visa anymore. What should I do?

If you have been issued with a CAS number and change your mind about applying for a Tier 4 Visa, you must notify us as it will need to be cancelled. 
Note: Tier 4 Visas are not optional for full year applicants.

When do I apply for housing?

You will be sent an email with instructions for completing the online application for King's accommodation once you have been offered a place to study at King's by the Admissions Team. For general information about the types of accommodation available, take a look at the relevant webpages online. All students who are enrolling at King’s for a full semester or year (i.e. Sept to Dec, Sept to Jun or Jan to Jun) can apply for accommodation in one of the College’s halls of residence. Students, however, are not guaranteed a King’s residence. 

Where can I find out which modules are available to Study Abroad students?

There is lots of really useful information about module selection available online. From this page you can find:

  • A link to the undergraduate and postgraduate study abroad module catalogues
  • A link to KEATS where Undergraduate Bioscience modules are hosted 
  • Information about eligibility for modules at different levels – check this carefully!
  • Information about module/credit loads
  • Links to download the Module Request Form (MRF) & Module Amendment Form (MAF)

When can I request modules?

You should submit your Module Request Form (MRF) as soon as possible during the module selection periods. Up-to-date information about deadlines and the MRF procedure can be found online.

If you have any questions regarding modules, please contact the Global Mobility Office directly via email (studyabroad@kcl.ac.uk)

Can I contact the Global Mobility Office through the King’s Apply portal?

Only the Admissions Team can access and respond to messages on the King’s Apply portal. If you need to contact the Global Mobility Office, please email us directly (studyabroad@kcl.ac.uk)

Explore King’s


Take a look at our comfortable, safe residences to suit your budget, located close to King's teaching campuses.

Student life

Art, food, music, shopping – you'll never find yourself with nothing to do in the world's most vibrant city.


Discover the huge variety of extra-curricular opportunities at King’s, from MOOCs to language courses.

London living

With four campuses by the River Thames and one in south London, King's is right in the heart of the capital.

Next steps

View a prospectus

Learn more about the degree programmes on offer at King's. Download or view a prospectus in PDF format.

Undergraduate prospectus

Postgraduate guide