The King's Residences is here to help you throughout the application process. We hope the Frequently Asked Questions below will help with most queries. If you can't find the answer to your question, feel free to contact us.
When can I apply?
Applications open on 23 January 2018. Accommodation is only guaranteed to those who apply by 24 May 2018. Applications received after 24 May 2018 will continue to be processed, but offers will only be made based on current availability.
How do I apply?
Log-in to the online application portal to start your application.
1. We recommend that you use either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing our accommodation portal
2. Please enter your username and password. Your username is your Student ID number and can be found on your academic offer letter. You password is your Date of Birth in the format of DDMMYY.
3. Once you have logged on, click on Application and Booking Management (on the left-hand side menu) and select Main Menu.
4. Click on Apply Here to start your application.
5. Ensure you that you click Finish & Submit before closing the screen.
Am I eligible to apply for accommodation at King’s?
Only King’s College London prospective students who hold a conditional or unconditional firm offer for a full time course of study will be eligible to apply for accommodation for the academic year in which their course commences. This applies to:
- First year undergraduates (including those on Study Abroad and Pre-Sessional programmes),
- New postgraduates (who have not previously been enrolled on a course of study at KCL); and
- Returning students (undergraduates and postgraduates).
Applicants below the age of 17 years old on move-in day are not eligible to apply for KCL accommodation.
Am I guaranteed accommodation?
All applications submitted before midnight on 24 May 2018 and meeting the criteria outlined in the Accommodation Policy are guaranteed to receive an accommodation offer.
Can I apply for multiple years?
Yes, you will be able to indicate how many academic years you would like us to offer you accommodation for on your application form. Offers for multiple years are subject to contract length and availability.
When will I be made an offer of accommodation?
- Early applications (received by 24 May 2018) qualify for the accommodation guarantee and offers will be made between March and May 2018.
- Applications (received after 24 May 2018) do not qualify for the accommodation guarantee and offers will be made between June and September 2018, depending on availability.
- Applications received after 16 August 2018 do not qualify for the accommodation guarantee and offers will be made from 20 August 2018, depending on availability.
What happens if I apply after 24 May?
Applications received after 24 May 2018 will continue to be processed outside the accommodation guarantee and offers will only be made based on current availability.
How will I receive my accommodation offer?
Your accommodation offer will be emailed to the email address you have registered on your King’s application. The offer will include a summary of your offer including which residence you have been allocated to, the room type and the residence fees for your contract length, attached also will be your licence agreement. Please ensure that you have access to your email and check both your inbox and your junk/spam filter as you will have only up to five calendar days to respond before the offer is withdrawn.
Can I choose the residence I will be allocated to?
Yes, but please note the requests you will list on your application form are EQUALLY ranked, cannot be distinguished in order of highest to lowest priority.
For more details please see our Accommodation Policy.
What are my chances of being allocated to Stamford Street Apartments, Great Dover Street or Moonraker Point?
These residences have been our most popular residences over the last years but there is no way of knowing your chances of being allocated to them as the allocation process is run automatically based on the requests you have stated (see question 8).
What happens if I do not like the residence that was allocated to me?
Room moves and swaps will be allowed from October 2018 in line with the room swap policy.
How long does it take to complete my application?
It should take you no more than 10 minutes to complete your application.
Will I receive an acknowledgment once my application is completed?
Yes. Once you have completed your application and clicked submit, you will receive an email acknowledging the receipt of your application. This email will be sent to the email address you registered on King’s Apply – please ensure that this address is current and you have access to it. If you are planning on going abroad/on holiday, please ensure that you have access to your email.
How long will I have to accept or decline my offer of accommodation?
Applicants sent offers prior to 20 August 2018 will have five calendar days to respond, whilst offers made after this date will have 48-hours instead.
What is a conditional accommodation offer?
Conditional accommodation offers are made to all students holding an academic offer for KCL (conditional and unconditional); these will automatically be confirmed if you meet the required results of your A-Levels results, if you are an undergraduate applicant, or pay the academic offer deposit, if you are a postgraduate applicant.
What happens if I decline the offer - can I be reconsidered?
If you chose to decline your offer, you will be given the option to change your requests on your application and resubmit your application. There is no guarantee you will be made another accommodation offer, even if you applied with the qualifying period for guaranteed accommodation.
How does the waiting list work?
From 20 August 2018 onwards, all available accommodation is offered to the students on our waiting list on a first come first served basis. Offers made at this point have a shorter deadline of 48hrs.
I have a disability, how will you process my application?
Applicants will be able to make the Reservations team aware of their needs by completing the relevant section in their online application form.
Are there provisions for students in financial hardship or with more limited funds?
If you are an undergraduate student (Home and International) with an annual family income of up to £42,875, you will be able to apply for the King’s Affordable Accommodation Scheme (KAAS) when submitting your application.
Can I choose my contract length?
Yes, you can select your preferred contract length when applying. Please note:
- Nursing, Midwifery and Physiotherapy students should select a 48 week contract to ensure they have accommodation during their placement.
- Postgraduate students will only be able to select 51 week contracts.
- Study Abroad students will need to select whether they are a One Term or Full Year student.
How much is the rent at King’s Residences?
Please visit our fees and payment page.
Can I swap my room?
Students will be able to swap their rooms from October 2018 in accordance with the Room Swap Policy by completing the room swap form.