This module serves as an introduction to the fundamental mathematical and statistical techniques required for Business and Economics degrees at King's. The module will equip you with the knowledge, understanding and skills required for undergraduate degrees in Business, Economics, Finance and Social Sciences.
The module reviews basic mathematical and statistical concepts and focuses on encouraging you to use mathematical and statistical reasoning in the context of business and economic applications.
By the end of the module, you will:
- Have the mathematical background knowledge to start a King's undergraduate degree in a range of Business and Finance subjects.
- Have the understanding of mathematical and statistical techniques to solve simple problems in these subjects.
- Understand which mathematical techniques are appropriate for any given simple problem.
- Be equipped to suggest ways to model mathematically simple concepts.
Textbooks for module
During your programme you will be required to do a lot of reading. It is not necessary to purchase all books, but you should try and ensure you have access to the following required textbooks:
- J. Curwin, R. Slater and D. Eadson, Quantitative Methods for Business Decisions, 7th Edition, Cengage Learning EMEA (2013); ISBN-13: 9781408064986
- E-book: Mathematics for Economics and Business; ISBN-13: 9781292191706
- To provide you with an understanding of the main functional areas of mathematics and statistics
- To develop an understanding of the use of relevant mathematical techniques and how to apply them in relevant contexts
Module assessment - more information
You are assessed through a combination of coursework (50%) and final exam (50%).
Required module for