KBS_Icon_questionmark link-ico

Fee status

King's College London charges two different levels of tuition fees for our postgraduate degree courses.

You will often see a Home (or Home/EU) fee which is lower than the Overseas fee. This is due to the way higher education is funded in England.

Your fee status (as Home, EU or Overseas) may also affect:

  • your eligibility for certain types of funding, or access to certain scholarships: in our funding pages for example, you may see different guidance for Overseas fee paying students, and Home/EU fee paying students.

  • your eligibility for certain courses: most of our courses will consider all students who meet our entry requirements, but some - usually where linked to National Health Service funding/places - are restricted to those who are eligible for Home/EU fees.

The level of tuition fee you will have to pay depends on whether you meet certain criteria, and is not based solely on your nationality or where you currently live. These criteria can be complex, but these questions might give you an indication of which category applies to you.

What is your fee status?

Home or EU

Most UK and European students will have this fee status. "Home" or "EU" fee status is likely if you:

  • are a British or EU national

  • and you have been ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK, EU, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland for the three-year period before the start of your course

  • and the main purpose for your residence in the UK was not to receive full-time education.


  • you have been granted indefinite leave to enter/remain in the UK*

  • and you have lived in the UK for the three years before the start of your course

  • and the main purpose for your residency was not to receive full-time education.

There are other categories of student who are eligible for “Home/EU” status and you can find further guidance about these at www.ukcisa.org.uk which offers guidelines of the fee status regulations, and further information on definitions of ‘ordinary residence’ and other terms.

* If you do not yet have indefinite leave to remain but meet the other criteria you may want to read more about the new 'Long Residence' category of Home fee status.

Note: If you apply to study a course at the same level - or lower - as a course that you have previously studied (for example, if you are applying to study a second undergraduate degree, or to study a Master's degree after a PhD), please read our guidance on Equal or Lower Qualifications.


Overseas fee status is likely if you do not meet the criteria for 'Home' or 'EU' fee status.

This applies to most students who would consider themselves 'International' students from outside of the EU.

If you think you will be charged the Overseas level of tuition fees, remember that there may be a range of funding support and scholarships available to support your studies: see our Funding pages.

Swiss / EEA Nationals and family members

If you are a Swiss or EEA national or the relevant family member of a Swiss or an EEA national our initial fee status assessment is that you would be considered an Overseas fee payer. However if you meet certain criteria you may be eligible for Home fees.

For Swiss nationals these are:

  • you are the child of a Swiss national and your Swiss parent must be exercising a right of resident in the UK (for example as a self-sufficient person, a worker, or a student)

  • and you must be ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK on the first day of your course (usually 1st September)

  • and you have been ordinarily resident in the UK, EU, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland for the three-year period before the start of your course

  • and the main purpose for your residency was not to receive full-time education.

For Swiss and EEA nationals, another criteria set is that

  • on the first day of your course you are a non-UK EEA national, or a Swiss national, and resident in the UK as a 'worker', or the relevant family member of such a worker; and

  • you must be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of your course unless you are an EEA or Swiss frontier worker or relevant family member of a frontier worker; and

  • you must have been ordinarily resident in the EEA and/or Switzerland and/or the overseas territories for the three-year period before the start of your course

Please note your fee status will remain Overseas until we have reviewed your evidence and have determined that it satisfies the requirements of the relevant criteria. If unsure, please ask the Admissions Office for guidance on your situation and submit any evidence through King’s Apply.

Home Islands

Students living in the Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey should note that they are unlikely to be classed as ‘Home’ students as different funding arrangements apply to those Islands rather than to the rest of the UK. Further guidance for Home-Islands students can be found on these local websites (external links):

Equal or Lower Qualification (ELQ)

If you would normally be a Home/EU fee paying student, but you are aiming to enrol on a degree course which is at the same level or a lower level, than you have previously studied, be aware that you may be charged higher fees. This is due to a change in the way government funds these learners.

Examples of when you might be assessed as ELQ:

  • You already have a Master's degree but wish to enrol on an undergraduate degree or a PGDip

  • You already have a Master's degree but wish to enrol on a second Master's degree

 If unsure, ask the Admissions Office for guidance on your situation.

Fee status reassessment for enrolled students

The Admissions Office recognises that there may be circumstances where fee status decisions may require review following enrolment, for example if a student’s nationality changes after they enrol.

There are strict criteria (pdf) surrounding the procedure for contesting fee status following enrolment outlined in our policy.

If current students feel that they meet the criteria outlined and would like to contest their fee status, they must complete the Fee Status Review Form (Word) and submit this, along with scans of supporting evidence to feestatusreview@kcl.ac.uk

How is Fee Status assessed?

As regulations regarding fee status can be quite complex, the College does not undertake fee status assessments before receiving a formal application for admission. However, when you apply to the College:

  • your application form will ask you for certain information which will help us undertake an initial assessment, such as your nationality, permanent address and your education history.

  • If we feel we don’t have enough information to make an assessment, we may contact you with our Fee Status Questionnaire and/or ask for specific information or documents.

  • If you are successful in being made an offer for a course, we will let you know the outcome of our fee status assessment in your offer letter, so that you will know what rate of tuition fees you will need to pay and what funding support you might be eligible for. If you have any questions at this stage you can also raise these with the Admissions Office through King's Apply, and request a Fee Status Questionnaire.

Please ensure that you resolve any queries before accepting an offer, paying any deposit, or enrolling on the course as there are only a very few circumstances where your fee status can change during your course of study.

Further information

If unsure, contact the Admissions Office for guidance on your situation. 

You may also wish to see guidance on the UKCISA website for independent guidance. 


Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information herein, King's College London can accept no responsibility for errors or omissions.

King's College London is not responsible for the content or reliability of the linked websites and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed within.

Explore King’s

Accommodation Take a look at our comfortable, safe residences to suit your budget, located close to King's teaching campuses.
Student life Art, food, music, shopping – you'll never find yourself with nothing to do in the world's most vibrant city.
Extra-curricular Discover the huge variety of extra-curricular opportunities at King’s, from MOOCs to language courses.
London living With four campuses by the River Thames and one in south London, King's is right in the heart of the capital.

Next steps

Upcoming events

Full list of student events

View our postgraduate guide

Learn more about postgraduate degree programmes at King's. Download our guide in PDF format.

Download guide