You can apply for supervision in all fields of interest of our staff members. Your application is considered and processed by the relevant admissions officers. We aim to reply within six weeks. To suitably qualified applicants, we offer opportunities to meet with prospective supervisors. Each February we hold an open day which provides information about our research activities and an opportunity to meet with relevant members of the department.
September, January, and April start dates are available. Applicants are strongly encouraged to start their degree at beginning of the academic year in September, when the College offers a full induction programme.
Please note that you should submit your application by 1 February if you want to be considered for a Graduate Teaching Scholarship (GTS) or other funds. You can find more information on funding processes on the PhD Funding Pages.
Although there can be variations the selection process typically runs as follows:
Starting in February students are selected for interview. The interviews are held in March and a first round of offers is made. If an offer is declined then the groups make second round offers until the positions are filled. Research groups tend to fill their funded PhD positions first as these are the most competitive. Therefore students are advised to apply on time to receive full consideration. Unfunded positions are rare as most supervisors will have taken on a funded student.
If you have any further questions please contact the Admissions Tutors or the Postgraduate Admissions Team.
||An ATAS certificate is required for successful applicants applying for this course whose nationality is outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland. For further guidance on obtaining an ATAS certificate can be found on our International Student Advice pages.
The deadlines for applications are detailed below. We will open applications for an intake in 2020 after the final deadline passes in 2019.
- January 2019 entry – 26th October 2018 for International students and 3rd December 2018 for Home/EU students
- April 2019 entry – 15th February 2019 for International and Home/EU students
- July 2019 entry - 17th May 2019 for International and Home/EU students
- October 2019 entry – 26th July 2019 for International students and 30th August for Home/EU students
- January 2020 entry – 25th October 2019 for International students and 2nd December 2019 for Home/EU students
- April 2020 entry – 14th February 2020 for International and Home/EU students
- July 2020 entry - 15th May 2020 for International and Home/EU students
Please note that funding deadlines may be earlier.