The King's College London & International Bar Association Executive LLM is a two-year part-time distance learning advanced Master of Laws course for ambitious commercial, in-house or regulatory lawyers, keen to build on their achievements and develop their careers. The Executive LLM offers a range of unique course content designed to equip talented lawyers with advanced legal, commercial and policy knowledge as well as sectoral expertise. As a professional student, you will also develop complementary skills that will make you a more rounded, more accomplished, and more successful lawyer.
The two-year, part-time course blends online modules with five London-based immersive weekends to build your commercial knowledge, deepen your specialist expertise and broaden your international professional network.
The fees for the 2018/19 intake are £30,000 for the LLM and £24,000 for the Postgraduate Diploma (PG Dip), further details about payment can be found in the fees and funding section below. There are a number of scholarships covering up to 100% of postgraduate diploma tuition fees available to eligible applicants.
There are five different kinds of modules for those taking the PG Dip. Those wishing to complete the Executive LLM also need to write a 60-credit dissertation in Year 2. The five kinds of modules are:
- Advanced Law (students take 2 x 15 credit modules in competition law, financial law or international dispute resolution)
- Advanced Skills (negotiation and leadership) - another set of advanced courses, inspiring participants to raise the bar still further
- Transnational Law
- Electives - these are non-law modules, but of direct relevance to lawyers and the way they work, helping them to add value, through a better understanding of legal, policy or commercial factors, and their intersections. Modules include Managing of Multi-national Enterprises, Managing of Public Bodies, Decision-Making, Global Business Ethics and Risk: Communication and Management
- Sectoral Case Study - small groups will team up to find a real problem within a delineated sector (e.g. Energy and Resources; Healthcare and Life Sciences; Technology Based Enterprises; or Major Projects), and then engage with and solve this problem, together. In addition, each area will be led by experts who will provide interesting insights into major issues of the day.
Additional information about the Executive LLM structure and modules can be found in the programme guide.
The course information sheet is a printable version of the information on this web page, which you can download here.
- You will be able to specialise in financial law, competition law or international dispute resolution; all taught by academics and practitioners who are leaders in their field.
- Flexibility, so you can study to achieve your aspirations without taking a break from your career.
- With small class sizes, you benefit from close instructor interaction and collaboration with other students.
- Elite course content designed to bridge theory and practice.
- Five London-based immersive weekends provide a unique opportunity to work in small teams to tackle cutting edge legal challenges under the guidance of experts.
- Structured networking time, allowing you to develop meaningful professional relationships with like-minded peers.