Show/hide main menu


Council Tax

Council tax is a charge administered and collected by local authorities. It helps to pay for certain public services such as street lighting, rubbish collection, the police and fire service.  There can be serious consequences if you receive a bill and you ignore it -  You will need a ‘Student Status’ letter to prove your registration at King’s and request student exemption, the Compass can provide this for you..

Please read the guidance note below for  information on the following:
  • who counts as a student for council tax purposes
  • discounts and exemptions
You are advised to contact a Student Advisor for clarification on all matters concerning council tax. In particular, we can help if you find yourself in any of the following scenarios:
  • you receive a council tax bill whilst living in halls of residence
  • you receive a council tax bill whilst living in an all-student household
  • you live with non-students but have received a council tax bill in your name
  • you are an international student with a UK student visa and your dependant has received a council tax bill
  • you receive a council tax bill during a period of interruption
  • you are a writing up student and the Council has rejected your application for exemption
  • you receive a council tax bill in relation to a summer holiday between the academic years of your course
  • you receive a court summons
We can also offer advice on eligibility for Council Tax Benefit.
All full-time students living in private sector accommodation should request a Student Status letter from The Compass so that the Council can assess if you are exempt from Council Tax.  This should be handed to the Council Tax Department in your local authority as soon as possible.
Do not ignore any council tax bills received. Contact a Student Advisor for guidance.
Blue puff
Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions Privacy policy Accessibility Modern slavery statement Contact us

© 2017 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454