Show/hide main menu

Medical and Dental students

International Medical and Dental students

Tier 4 visa holders and intercalating

The immigration rules relating to students are quite complicated. Under Tier 4 rules King's is now required to report you to the UKBA if you make changes to your course or change institution. Therefore if you hold a Tier 4 visa and wish to intercalate you will need to be aware of the following:

  • If you wish to stay at King's for your intercalation: you do not need to do anything, as your current visa has been issued for study at King's. However, you will need to apply for a new visa in order to complete your studies, since your current visa will have been issued for 5 rather than six years.
  • If you wish to intercalate elsewhere: if you applied for your current Tier 4 visa before 5th October 2009 then you will not need to obtain a new visa in order to intercalate elsewhere, but you will need to apply for permission from the Home Office to switch  institutions.You should check with the institution you are going to whether you will be allowed to enrol before this application is decided. Once you have finished your intercalation year you will need to apply to extend your Tier 4 visa in order to be allowed to return to King's or go to another new institution for your clinical studies. You will need to submit this application before you can enrol. If you applied for your Tier 4 visa after 5th October 2009 you will need to apply for a new visa in order to study at a different institution. This is because Tier 4 visas are linked to the institution where you have said you will be studying.
If you hold an old-style (pre-Tier 4) visa then you can intercalate at King's or elsewhere without having to apply for a new visa or permission to change institutions. However if you then need more time in the UK in order to complete your studies you will need to make a visa extension under Tier 4 of the immigration rules.
Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions Privacy policy Accessibility Recruitment News Centre Contact us

© 2016 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454