Show/hide main menu

Immigration and visa advice

Police Registration

Do I need to register?

Certain foreign nationals who will be in the UK for more than 6 months are required to register with the police. If you are required to register it should clearly state this on your visa. The wording will be something like "Register with the police within 7 days." If you do not register when you are supposed to, or fail to keep your certificate up to date (see below) you may be fined £5000 or face a jail sentence.

When do I register?

You need to register within 7 days of arriving in the UK. Usually you do this by going to the Overseas Visitors Records Office, though there may be special arrangements in place if you're arriving in September. You then need to update your certificate each time you change your address or obtain a new visa or passport. If you do not do this then you are likely to face problems when you try to extend your student visa.

Special arrangements: students starting in September/October

Students arriving in September/October have the option of registering at OVRO in person (see below) or pre-registering through King's then visiting OVRO by 28th November 2015 at the latest.  (Please note that by engaging with this option you are deemed to have honoured the 7 day deadline for registration).  Please follow the 3 step process outlined below:


You must provide the following documentation to the Visa Support Team from Thursday 15 October 2015 and by no later than Thursday 29 October 2015:

* OVRO Registration Proforma, completed in BLOCK CAPITALS (this will have been emailed to you)

* Two passport sized photographs (must be in colour and cut to size)

* A copy of the identity page from your passport

* A copy of the Visa page from your passport AND both sides of your Biometric Residence Permit (if applicable)


Upon receipt of these documents the Visa Support Team will provide you with a letter from the OVRO outlining your responsibility to complete the registration process by a specified date.  You will need to take this letter with you when you go to collect your police registration certificate.


To finalise the registration process, you will need to collect your registration certificate from the OVRO 3 weeks from the date stamped on your letter.  The last date by which you can collect your certificate is 28 November 2014.

When you attend the OVRO, please remember to take your passport, BRP (if applicable), £34 fee and the letter that we will provide to you.  At the OVRO you will be issued with your police registration certificate.

The Visa Support Team will be available to receive your documentation (as outlined in STEP 1) from Thursday 15 October 2015 and by no later than Thursday 29 November 2015 at one of our International Student Support drop-ins

We will shortly announce additional times and locations which can be pre-booked.  If your visa states that you need to register with the police, you will receive an email from the university, setting out the instructions for each option.

Where do I need to register at other times?

You need to go to the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO), 323 Borough High Street, London SE1 1JH (opposite Borough underground station, on the Northern Line) to obtain your certificate. OVRO is open from 9am-4pm from Monday-Friday.

At busy times of year, such as September and October, you should arrive early as you may need to queue. Once you have your certificate you will need to return to OVRO each time you obtain a new passport or visa. If you change your address you must report this so you certificate can be updated, but can go to any local police station to do this. You do not need to pay each time, though if you lose your certificate you will need to pay for a replacement.

What do I need to take with me?

You need to pay a fee of £34 (payable in cash or by cheque, credit or debit card), your passport with your visa (or BRP, if applicable), proof of address, two passport photographs (already cut out), a copy of your visa and photo page of your passport, and, if you have enrolled, a confirmation of studies letter from King's as they may ask to see this.

Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions Accessibility Recruitment News Centre Contact us

© 2015 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454