Do I need to register?
Certain foreign nationals who will be in the UK for more than 6 months are required to register with the police. If you are required to register it should clearly state this on your visa. The wording will be something like "Register with the police within 7 days." If you do not register when you are supposed to, or fail to keep your certificate up to date (see below) you may be fined £5000 or face a jail sentence.
When do I register?
You need to register within 7 days of arriving in the UK. Usually you do this by going to the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO), though there may be special arrangements in place if you're arriving in September/October. You then need to update your certificate each time you change your address or obtain a new visa or passport. If you do not do this then you are likely to face problems when you try to extend your student visa.
Special arrangements: students starting in September/October
Students arriving in September/October have the option of registering at OVRO in person (see below) or pre-registering through King's and then visiting OVRO by appointment, as stated in a letter which we will issue you on behalf of the OVRO - See Step 2 below. Please note that by engaging with this option you are deemed to have honoured the 7 day deadline for registration. Please follow the 3 step process outlined below:
You must provide the following documentation to the International Student Support Team from Thursday 15 October 2015 and by no later than Thursday 29 October 2015:
- OVRO OCR Registration Proforma, completed in BLOCK CAPITALS (this will have been emailed to you) Handwritten and/or amended forms will not be accepted.
- One passport sized photograph. This must be in colour and cut to size (45mm x 35mm) and stuck to the proforma.
- Your original passport and visa/Biometric Residence Permit, along with:
- A copy of the identity page from your passport (This is no longer required)
- A copy of the visa page (Entry Clearance) from your passport AND both sides of your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) (if applicable) If you have not collected your BRP then you will need to provide a copy of the grant letter given to you when you were granted your visa abroad.
- If you have previously registered with the police, you must also provide the original Police Registration Certificate (PRC). This is important as you may not need to pay again.
*Please ensure your proforma is completed accurately and use the official ADOBE ACROBAT READER as apposed to the built in viewer on Apple Macs. ADOBE ACROBAT READER is available to download from https://acrobat.adobe.com/uk/en/products/pdf-reader.html - also, proformas MUST be of GOOD QUALITY, Signed within the box and photos of the correct size (45mm x 35mm) pasted to the Proforma
Upon receipt of these documents the Visa Support Team will provide you with a letter from the OVRO outlining your responsibility to complete the registration process. You will be allocated an appointment which will be shown on the letter. You must attend the OVRO on the date and time in order to collect your police registration certificate.
To finalise the registration process, you must attend the OVRO at the appointment date/time on your letter. It is essential that you arrive on time with the following documents so that your certificate can be issued:
- £34 registration fee - payable in cash or by credit/debit card - Except American Express
- The letter you have been provided by the International Student Advice Team
If you do not attend your appointment and complete this process you will be in breach of your visa conditions.
The Visa Support Team will be available to receive your documentation (as outlined in STEP 1) from Thursday 15 October 2015 and by no later than Thursday 29 October 2015 at one of our International Student Support drop-ins.
We will shortly announce additional times and locations which can be pre-booked. If your visa states that you need to register with the police, you will receive an email from the university, setting out the instructions for each option.
Where do I need to register at other times?
You need to go to the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO), 323 Borough High Street, London SE1 1JL (opposite Borough underground station is served by the Northern Line) to obtain your certificate. OVRO is open from 9am-4pm from Monday-Friday.
At busy times of year, such as September and October please check OVRO’s website before attending as they may have an admission slip process or other special arrangements in place. Once you have your certificate you will need to return to OVRO each time you obtain a new passport or visa. If you change your address you must report this within 7 days of the change to your local Police Station and not at the OVRO. You do not need to pay each time, though if you lose, damage or if your certificate is stolen, you will need to pay for a replacement. You will also need to pay again if you have been absent from the UK for over 12 months.
What do I need to take with me?
- Original passport
- 1 x passport sized photograph (Must be in colour, 45mm x 35mm and pasted to the proforma)
- Completed OCR Registration Proforma (Hand written proformas will not be accepted from 27/07/2015)
- £34.00 Registration Fee.
- Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) - if applicable
- Any Home Office letters you may have been issued in the UK or overseas (if applicable)