Show/hide main menu

Funding your studies

Financial hardship

We understand that despite how much you may plan for your studies, sometimes things go wrong.  For example, your parent or sponsor may be having problems with their business, you may be experiencing delays with your student funding or your family may be experiencing a change in circumstance (such as redundancy or pregnancy) and as a result you are unable to fund your studies as you originally planned. 


The College has some hardship funds which may be able to help you and our guidance leaflets have advice on how to improve your financial situation and information on trusts and charities that you may be able to apply to.  You may also find the rest of our Money Doctor pages helpful.

Where can I get help?

If you find yourself in this situation please speak to a Student Adviser as soon as possible, we may be able to help you to find a solution depending on:
  • the cause of your financial problem
  • how much money you need
  • how long you will need help for
  • what the money is needed for

We can discuss what options are available to you and help you make a decision on what to do next. 

International students and the immigration rules

Remember if you are in the UK with student or Tier 4 visa the immigration rules require that you have the funds to cover your tuition fees and maintenance in order to obtain a student visa or entry clearance to come to the UK and to extend your stay in the UK as a student. You should be able to maintain yourself and your family without having to work in the UK and without claiming welfare benefits. This applies during all of your time in the UK. Therefore it is essential that you seek advice as soon as you are aware that there may be a problem with your funding.
Sitemap Site help Terms and conditions Accessibility Recruitment News Centre Contact us

© 2015 King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS | England | United Kingdom | Tel +44 (0)20 7836 5454